Southern Spoon bread is a must in our house. We could eat it for every meal! Spoon bread is prevalent to the South. There used to be a Spoon Bread Festival every year in September in Berea, Kentucky. Boone Tavern in Berea is famous for its spoon bread. The bread is made with cornmeal and this recipe is for basic spoon bread. Some people add cheeses, green onions, chives or even corn to the recipe. You may also love this Sweet Alabama Pecan Bread!
Southern Spoon Bread Simple Ingredients:
Hot milk (I use 2%)
Many people who have never had this dish always ask if it is a side dish or a bread? I think it is a side dish and it’s delicious topped with lots of butter. Some people even like it with honey to make it sweet. This is a spoon bread.. served with a spoon.. and it is like a soufflé! If you haven’t tried this delicious dish you really should. It’s such a classic and only a few ingredients.
“Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Part of my family hails from Virginia, and I remember my great-grandmother making this. It was so light, moist and tender. We’d have it with butter and King syrup. She added a bit of sugar to her batter though. I’ve been looking everywhere for a recipe that seemed even remotely close to hers and this is the one. I can’t wait to make this for my mom for Mother’s Day this year. She’s going to be so happily surprised. Thanks again for stoking the culinary flames of great food and family memories!” – Kita
“Never had spoon bread before so I decided to make it as a side dish with dinner tonight. Love it! Even my nine year old son loves it, which is a miracle because he is such a picky eater. Thanks for sharing your recipes.” -Susan
Printable recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Southern Spoon Bread
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups hot milk I use 2%
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- Heat the milk on top of the stove until hot (do not boil).
- Add cornmeal and continue cooking for about 3 or 4 minutes until thickens. Remove from heat and mix in the butter and salt. Let cool for about 15 minutes.
- While the cornmeal is cooking separate the eggs into two different bowls. Beat egg yolks and egg whites separately. Make sure you beat whites until stiff.
- Once cornmeal is cooled, add egg yolks mixing with a spoon. Fold in whites and spoon mix. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart sprayed baking dish and bake in preheated 325 degree oven for 45 minutes or until brown on top and center is cooked.