I have made this recipe for years using different canned fruit pie fillings. You can also make it with fresh fruit but if you use fresh fruit, I would put the fruit on and boil it with a little sugar and water to make like a filling before putting it into the recipe.

Easy Fruit Cobbler
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 stick melted butter
1 can fruit pie filling of your choice
Mix first 4 ingredients and pour into a baking dish. Drop pie filling by spoonfuls into the filling. Bake at 400 degrees until brown on top about 35 to 40 minutes.  Serve with cool whip or ice cream of your choice. Note:  If using a 9 x 13 inch baking dish double this recipe and use a 29 ounce can of peaches. The recipe above is made with one regular sized can of sliced peaches and  a 9 x 9 baking dish.   Enjoy!. Note:   I did add a couple tablespoons of the peach juice to the batter and sprinkled about a tablespoon of cinnamon on top.  Just use your imagination with this quick and easy recipe and you can come up with all kinds of different cobblers!

1. Val from PA says:

To me, this recipe is THE recipe for cobbler – this is the one my MawMaw has always used. I would never use another! I have never tried it with anything other than canned peaches though… Might have to give the pie filling a try sometime!

2. Berna-Lu Gibson says:

I lived in Kentucky many years. Went to Union College in Barbourville married lived in Coalgood, Harlan County, moved to Hazard, first Daughter born there, Louisville, Etown, Glendale and now Florida. Make this cobbler all the time.

3. dave dumas says:

Southern Lady in your reply on 3/14/13 you said use can fruit not pie filling, but your recipe calls for pie filling.

This is a very versatile recipe. Most people use pie filling but you could use frozen fruit or fresh fruit, too.

• Dear S.Lady, My mother inlaw gave me this many years ago..And I have given it to everyone I know…My three boys would give me a big hug coming in the backdoor smelling it…Thank you for sharing this..

4. I love this recipe…so easy and so yummy…my kids loved it while they were growing up…I used fruit cocktail…and it was so moist…but U can use just about anything U want to make it Ur own thanks for sharing it brings back good memories 🙂

5. I have had this recipe for years .when i do peaches i add ciammon & almond extract. the same with cherries.soo goood every one loves them i have friends who visit request i make this .thanks

7. Ive tried this same recipe in my slow cooker, was very good.

• Carla Peterson says:

I am very interested in finding out how long you cook this wonderful cobbler in a crockpot. My family has been enjoying this recipe for over 70 years. We love it and so do all our friends.

8. about how long is the cooking time?

9. I have made this recipe with just about every fruit for over 55 years an always a hit, love It. yummy!…..
    Thanks for all you wonderful recipes

10. lisa spell says:

do i use the can peaches and the juice or do i drain the juice off the peaches and use them without the juice. please let me now?

• You can use pie filling or canned peaches. If using canned peaches, I drain them. You could add a little of the juice in it but not a lot or you could replace some of the milk with juice. You don’t want it to be soggy.

11. I make this all the time, It is very flexible. I use fresh, frozen or canned fruit. You can also use your imagination……my last experiment was fresh blueberry and peaches. YUMMY. I had a house guest and a quart of fresh cherries. Her question was what are you doing with the cherries. I said we can just eat them. She asked if I would made a cobbler. I said OK. She sat with a paring knife and pitted each cherry The cobbler was amazing. It is also called Poor Man’s Pie. I have given this recipe to countless people.

12. Harriett Clark says:

Do you drain the juice off the canned peaches or do you use it in the recipe? Thanks!

• I drain it if using canned peaches. I usually use pie filling but you can use the canned peaches. You could add a little of the juice or replace some of the milk with the juice but not much. You don’t want it to be soggy.

13. I’ve made this recipe for over 10 years now…..it is delicious!!!!

14. Can this be used with frozen fruit? I have tons of frozen berries. If so how much? About a cup and a half?

15. Which is better can pie filling or just canned fruit?

16. i am cooking this for guests coming tomorrow. If I double the recipe for a 9×13 pan. I understand that I just double everything and then add a drained 29 oz. of peaches that have been cut up. Is this correct? What is confusing me, it says to add a regular size can of cut up peaches for the 9×9 size but it does not show the regular size of peaches as one of the ingredients used

17. [email protected] says:

we make this ALL the time….tonight I am making it with pineapple and cranberry!!! I also sprinkle brown sugar over it before baking…YUMMY!

18. Thank u So much! I use to make this…. Going to again now! Love cobbler!

19. I made this last night! YUMMY!!!! so easy and the whole pan is gone this morning!! Just started my sourdough starter!!!! can’t wait! thank you

20. I have used this recipe for over 50 years, it is my fav dessert, simple an easyan of course so yummy….Thanks for your great delic recipes..

21. I make my cobblers with this recipe and have for years, I’m now a diabetic & use splenda instead of sugar. I also Double the recipe for bigger cobblers, & use fresh fruit in splenda syrup,( water slenda mixture)

22. Could anyone tell this ignorant English person what a stick of butter weighs please

23. MaryLena Anderegg says:

My mother called this “one cup cobbler”. Thanks for the reminder.

25. This is the cobbler recipe that my grandmother gave me when I got married, 39 years ago. She called it “Lazy Day Cobbler”.
    It’s awesome with blackberries too. Mmmmm

26. Clara Melvin says:

Judy, I just got through making one of these. That’s the recipe my
    Mother used all the time. It’s so good. I had Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream to top it off!

27. Grandma called this “Lazy Man Pie”! Been making for years. She always made it on wash day…which took all day using the wringer washing machine!

28. I got this very recipe from my mama, we made it all the time, and now I make it for my family

29. I don’t have self-rising flour. Would you be able to tell me how to adjust the recipe for this, using regular flour and whatever else is needed? Would I add baking powder and/or baking soda; and how much? Thanks in advance, I’m looking forward to making this!! 🙂

30. So happy to see this on here. We called it 1 cup cobbler. I have been making this for over 50 yrs. and it gets raves every time. Love your delish “Suthern” cookin. Yes, I am a GRIT…lol

32. Cupa, cupa, cupa, that’s what we call this cobbler recipe………love it!!!!

33. margaret franklin says:

This is really good made with fresh blackberries.

34. I love this! I like a cup of selfrising flour, cup of sugar and a can of fruit cocktail (including the juice) and mix – bake 350deg. till it’s golden and it’s delish and simple.

35. Mona Hickey says:

When I make this cobbler, I use only 1/2 stick of butter, which I melt in the oven while I blend the flour, sugar, and milk (I also add a dash of vanilla to the batter). When the butter is melted and sizzling hot, I pour the batter over it, then I pour the peaches and all the juices evenly over the batter, and do not stir. The batter rises over the fruit and makes a nice crust. Bake on 350 until golden brown.

36. I use to make this with my Mama and we’d just use canned peaches in heavy syrup. It was our favorite cobbler recipe. We did cut the sugar to 3/4 c because it was too sweet for us otherwise.

37. I have made this recipe many times using fresh or frozen fruit. Works great!