Vanilla wafer cake is an old-fashioned classic cake that has been around for many years. I used to make it back in the seventies when my children were small and we lived on the farm. I have been going through some of my old recipes and came across this one and decided to make it to post on the website. You can serve it plain or with caramel sauce. This cake is great with coffee or as a dessert anytime. Take it to any gathering or make it for any holiday and you won’t bring any back home.
Vanilla wafer cake ingredients needed:
Evaporated milk (can use regular milk)
Box of vanilla wafers
Chopped nuts of your choice
You can add a caramel sauce if you desire, we personally love it with just powdered sugar sprinkled on top. This cake is really good and the flavor is so different. If you have never tried this one.. you really should.
Optional Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
Butter or margarine
I definitely let this cake really cool before removing it from the pan. It takes it a while to cool and you don’t want it to stick. It needs to pull away from the pan when it cools.
“I made this today. It is delicious! I used vanilla extract instead of the lemon. I could eat the whole cake! Yummy!” – Arlene
“I just made two of these for a High School Reunion. They turned out wonderfully. I had many compliments. It’s delicious with or without the caramel sauce. One if the easiest cakes I’ve ever attempted.” – Mary Kay
“I made this on Sunday…and it didn’t even last 24 hours. It is so good, as well as the Carmel Sauce to serve with it.” – Barb
“The cake took longer than 20 minutes to unloosen itself but the end result is delicious. I didn’t flour the pan. I haven’t iced it yet but I will. Thank you for a luscious cake recipe that is oh so easy and delicious (I’ve been eating the crumbs). I thought that it would be interesting not to use flour, but it worked.” – Jackie
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Vanilla Wafer Cake
- 2 sticks butter or margarine or 1 cup
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (can use regular milk)
- 11 ounce box of vanilla wafers, crushed (Put in plastic bag and crush with rolling pin)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup of chopped nuts of your choice
Caramel Sauce (this is optional, it's good with our without it):
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream butter and sugar; add eggs and continue mixing. Add milk, vanilla wafers and coconut along with lemon extract using mixer until well blended. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into sprayed bundt pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes until center is done. Cool for 15 to 20 minutes and remove from pan.
Caramel Sauce Instructions
- Bring to boil on top of stove and let boil for one minute.
- Remove from stove and add vanilla.
- Let cool to the consistency you like. It will harden as it cools.
Be sure and PIN Vanilla Wafer Cake for later:© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder. Follow us on Instagram.