Mississippi Mud Cake has been around for a long time and if you have never tried it you definitely should! If you love chocolate this cake is definitely for you. It really has the consistency of a brownie, because it’s made in a jelly roll pan. It doesn’t rise up like a traditional chocolate cake. It is one of my favorite cakes because of all the chocolate and the marshmallow. It reminds me of real good rich brownies!
Mississippi Mud Cake Ingredients Needed:
Cocoa (I use 100% pure cocoa)
Nuts of your choice( I use pecans or walnuts)
Miniature marshmallows (Could use marshmallow fluff)
Frosting Ingredients Needed:
If you are taking this cake to an event, you can easily make it a day in advance. I honestly think it is better the following day! The combination of the frosting and the marshmallows just gets better with time.
RECIPE FEEDBACK: “My mom had been making one every year for Thanksgiving or Christmas and I have carried on that tradition for almost 30 years now. The only difference is that instead of the marshmallows i use the marshmallow cream and follow the recipe to the letter. I love pecans but prefer not to add any, still absolutely fabulous cake.” – Tony
“Best cake EVER!!! A favorite of my family’s as well. My sister-in-law gave it to me 30 years ago!!” – Jackie
“Had to have a piece today and it is delicious. My granddaughter helped me test it and she is in agreement that it is super good. It is like a nutty brownie with marshmallows on top and then fudge on top of that. Yummy!!”- Sandra
Full recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Mississippi Mud Cake
- 1 cup butter or margarine or 2 sticks or 16 tablespoons, melted
- 1/2 cup cocoa I use 100% pure cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups nuts of your choice I use pecans or walnuts
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows Could use marshmallow fluff
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter in microwave. Whisk in cocoa, sugar, eggs, flour salt and vanilla. Fold in nuts. Spray a 17 x 11 x 1 inch jelly roll pan (or can make this in a 9 x 13 pawith cooking spray.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes if using jelly roll pan or about 30 to 35 if using 9 x 13 pan checking for doneness as ovens vary.
- Remove from oven and spread marshmallows on top while the cake is still hot. (I put mine back in the oven for about 2 minutes to let the marshmallows begin to melt. Add frosting below over marshmallows.
- Beat all the frosting ingredients together with mixer. Spread over cake.
- Let cake cool completely before cutting.
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Texas Sheet Cake.
Don’t Forget to Pin Mississippi Mud Cake.
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder