Southern cornmeal hushpuppies are easy and delicious.
Southern cornmeal hushpuppies are round cornmeal dumplings that usually accompany a big dish of fried fish. There are many different ideas as to how hushpuppies got their name. If you check the internet, you will come up with some of the following:
1. Confederate soldiers used their corn biscuit rations to feed to their dogs to quiet them in order to avoid detection from Union soldiers, hence the phrase hushing the puppies.
2. It is believed that while cooking fried foods with batter outside such as fish, balls of batter were fried and given to the dogs to keep them from begging or barking, thus the name “hush puppies”.
3. (This one is my favorite. I am a Kentuckian and it makes sense to me.) They were fried up to toss to the dogs to keep them quiet while the “revenooers” were snooping around looking for stills. Whatever explanation, fried catfish just isn’t the same without hushpuppies.
Ingredients Needed for Southern Cornmeal Hushpuppies:
White granulated sugar, optional
Onion, finely chopped or grated
Fresh or dried chives
Oil for fryingAre you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Southern Cornmeal Hushpuppies
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar optional
- 1/2 of a medium onion finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chives chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix with spoon. The batter should be just wet enough that you can shape it into balls about the size of a walnut with your hands and it sticks together.
- Have oil hot in a skillet and drop hushpuppies into oil. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes browning on all sides. Remove and drain on paper towels.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.