These Sourdough Sticky Buns are a wonderful way to enjoy your sourdough starter. We love making many things with sourdough and these may be our favorite. Start your day with this delicious recipe.. so good with a cup of coffee!
Sourdough Sticky Buns Ingredients Needed:
All Purpose Flour
Dark Brown Sugar
As you can see this recipe is simple ingredients! Sticky buns are so good and always a hit at my house. If you love sourdough recipes, you will also love these delicious Sourdough Cinnamon Muffins. They are one of our most popular recipes.
If you haven’t had a sourdough starter in the past, what are you waiting for? So many wonderful ways to enjoy sourdough and making your own bread is so rewarding too. Find our sourdough stater here and be sure and read all the comments on the recipe. Our starter is a little different, it is made with potato flakes and we have had great success with it as have many others.
“I came across your recipe for sourdough starter and bread about 6 years ago, maybe longer. I was looking for a starter that didn’t use flour and voila!! My husband and I love the flavor of this bread as it’s not too strong and tangy! I usually give away the 2nd loaf to neighbors or family. Thank you for your recipes.” – Marita
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Sourdough Sticky Buns
Sticky Bun Dough Ingredients
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 stick of butter or 1/2 cup melted
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1/2 stick of butter of 1/4 cup softened
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Mix starter, warm water, salt, sugar, oil, and 3 cups flour in a large bowl. Pour out onto the floured surface and work with it until you can pick it up and place it in an oiled bowl. Turn the dough once so that it is oiled on both sides, cover, and let rise overnight. (I cover it with a clean dishtowel).
- The next morning punch down the dough, take it out of the bowl and place it on a floured surface and roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick rectangle and let it rest while you make the caramel topping. Mix melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, honey, and salt together. Spread into the bottom of a 9 inch cast iron skillet or deep-dish pie pan. Then sprinkle chopped pecans over the caramel mixture.
- Next, prepare the filling for the sticky buns. Soften butter and spread over the dough, sprinkle with cinnamon, and brown sugar. Roll the dough up into a long roll and cut it into 8-10 slices.
- Place rolls on top of caramel/pecan mixture and cover with a dishtowel. Place the rolls in your oven on the lowest rack with the oven light on. This will speed up the second rise.
- Once rolls have doubled in size (mine takes around 2 hours), bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes or until brown on top. Let rolls rest for 10 minutes and then invert onto a platter.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.