SAUSAGE, TOMATO AND CHEESE GRITS CASSEROLE
This Sausage, Tomato and Cheese Grits Casserole is wonderful for breakfast along with eggs or make it for a main dish for dinner and serve with a green vegetable. We like grits anytime. They can be served so many different ways and are a staple in most Southern homes.
Sausage, Tomato and Cheese Grits Casserole Ingredients Needed:
Grits, (can be regular or the quick-cooking grits)
Diced tomatoes with green chilis
Shredded cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice
We recently remade this dish so we could update this recipe and it’s fantastic. We love it topped with a fried egg and this dish reheats really well. Great to make at the beginning of the week and have each morning for breakfast. It would also be a great addition to any brunch or a holiday weekend. The flavor is wonderful and if you wanted to add some heat to this casserole you could always make it with spicy sausage.
- You could use smoked sausage, Italian sausage, andouille sausage or spicy sausage
- If you are not a fan of green chilies just use diced tomatoes
- Switch up the type of cheese
If you love grits like we do, you will also love this Shrimp and Grits dish. It has wonderful reviews and is a southern classic!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Sausage, Tomato and Cheese Grits Casserole
- 1/2 pound pork sausage You could use Smoked sausage, or even Italian or Polish in this recipe
- 3 cups cooked grits (can be regular or the quick-cooking grits)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice
- Combine sausage, onion and green pepper in a skillet and brown on top of stove. Drain, if needed.
- Stir in salt, black pepper, minced garlic, butter, tomatoes and cooked grits. Simmer for 10 minutes on low.
- Pour into a casserole dish. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder
Follow us on Instagram.