This Fruit Cocktail Cake is definitely one of my favorites. I am not a fan of fruit cocktail but I love it in this cake. I had not made this cake in years and someone asked me about it before Christmas. I bought the fruit cocktail and am just now getting around to making the cake. Today, was the perfect day to make it. It is the first day of spring and I felt like something sweet and good.
Fruit Cocktail Cake Ingredients Needed:
White granulated sugar
Fruit cocktail in syrup
Nuts (I used pecans)
Many people remember the traditional fruit cakes that come out at Christmas. This cake is nothing like those but would still be a great addition to any holiday gathering. You could easily put a caramel frosting on this cake or cream cheese frosting, both would be delicious. You could also just sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with whipped cream. This cake goes wonderful with coffee too. Super versatile!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Fruit Cocktail Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can fruit cocktail in syrup, undrained
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup nuts I used pecans
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg and set aside. Cream the white sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla extract with a mixer. Add the two together and continue mixing. Fold in the fruit cocktail and mix with a spoon.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and spread the cake batter in the dish. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup brown sugar over the top of the batter along with the nuts. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes checking for doneness since ovens vary.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream on top. This cake does not need frosting. It is just that good but you could add about any type of frosting if you want.
Be sure and pin this:
Follow us on Instagram!
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.