The only way I can describe this chocolate cherry cake is exquisite! You all know I am a chocoholic and this is one of my very favorite cakes. It is not made with a mix like a lot of chocolate cherry cakes but from “scratch” and it is delicious. I cannot make this cake often because I can’t leave it alone. It was a hundred degrees in Kentucky and I am baking this cake and craving chocolate. It was worth it!
Chocolate cherry cake is simple to make!
White granulated sugar
Cherry pie filling
White granulated sugar
If you see the frosting ingredients has chocolate chips! This makes the frosting even more delicious and it’s one of our favorites. It really takes this cake to a new level. I think this cake is perfect for any occasion! You can see I added a few maraschino cherries in the picture because I thought it really showcased this cake. It was just for the picture.
Recipe Feedback: “I’ve been baking a chocolate cherry cake for 30 years using my mother in law’s recipe starting with boxed cake mix. Today I baked that one and this recipe to compare side by side. This one is better…more moist and worth the extra 5 minutes. Sorry, mother in law! Thanks for all the great recipes!!” – Jan
“This recipe is amazing! Thank you for putting it out there in recipe land! Combines my husbands favorites cherries and chocolate! Not difficult to make and oh so delicious!” – Kaysee
“Oh, happy day! This is now my favorite special occasion or just because cake. It looks and tastes decadent but is surprisingly easy. I took another reviewer’s idea and used almond instead or vanilla extract and my husband and I had to make ourselves eat only “responsible” sizes. Thank you so much for sharing this!” – Tammy
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pure cocoa
- 1 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter or 8 tablespoons melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa and sugar. Mix well with whisk. Add eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla extract and cherry pie filling mixing well each time with a spoon. (I don't use the mixer on the cake and mix just until all ingredients are wet). Pour into a well sprayed bundt pan or 9 x 13 cake pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 55 to 60 minutes until center is cooked. Let cake cool for 20 minutes before removing from bundt pan. (If using a 9 x 13 inch pan, it may not take that long to cook. Just make sure center is done when tested).
- Combine sugar, milk and butter in pan on top of stove. Bring to boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla and chocolate chips. Stir with spoon or whisk until chips are melted. (I put this in a small pitcher pour and drizzle over cake if using bundt pan. You can spread on cake if using 9 x 13 cake pan. If frosting becomes too thick add a little milk and heat about 15 seconds in microwave. (Note: If you make this cake in a 9 x 13 pan, I would double the frosting recipe).