This Easy Beignets Recipe will become a favorite! Delicious start to the day with a great cup of coffee. If you have ever been to Cafe du Monde in New Orleans and had their famous chicory coffee and beignets you know what I am talking about. A beignet is a pastry made from dough and deep-fried then rolled in confectioners sugar. (A doughnut without the hole)
Easy Beignets Recipe made two different ways.
You can make either of these recipes, one is made with canned biscuits and the other is made from scratch. Both are delicious and both are simple. If you love chocolate you will want to try the chocolate beignets. They are delicious.
Chocolate Beignets simple ingredients needed:
1 regular can of biscuits
oil for frying (enough to make about 2 inches of oil in a skillet or deep fryer)
As you can see, super easy ingredients and kids love these little treats. I love them with the chocolate syrup and the powdered sugar and they are delicious with coffee. Since these are made with canned biscuits they are definitely a different way of making beignets that is just fun and delicious. Either way, its fried dough so you are going to enjoy it. You could also use any chips you prefer to make different varieties!
What is a beignet?
The definition of a beignet from Wikipedia is a deep fried fritter or pastry similar to a donut. The flavor is not as sweet as a traditional donut and they have larger holes in the center since they puff up more than a donut. Traditional New Orleans Style Beignets are made with yeast and only go through one rise.
You will see below these are not made with yeast, because we wanted to just enjoy a simple version of this classic. They puff up nicely and we really love this version!
From Scratch Beignets Ingredients Needed:
Honey, Syrup, Molasses or Powdered Sugar (Optional)
Now this easy beignets recipe is made from scratch but still super easy and your family will love them. We recently made these to update this recipe and they lasted about 10 minutes. They are better warm, so if they get cold just pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds! If you are anything like us, you will just keep adding more powdered sugar. These little treats just melt in your mouth.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Easy Beignets Recipe
Chocolate Beignets Ingredients
- 1 regular can of biscuits
- chocolate chips
- oil for frying enough to make about 2 inches of oil in skillet or deep fryer
- powdered sugar
- chocolate syrup
Regular Beignets Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Honey Syrup, Molasses or Powdered Sugar (Optional)
Chocolate Beignets Instructions
- Spread each biscuit into a circle and add 4 chocolate chips and fold the biscuit in half, pressing edges together. Drop each biscuit into oil around 350 degrees. They will come to the top as soon as you drop them in oil. Turn to brown both sides and remove from oil with slotted spoon.
- Have a bowl of powdered sugar ready and roll hot beignets in sugar. Drizzle with chocolate syrup. Makes 10 beignets. Enjoy!We like these with and without the chocolate syrup. You can also make these leaving out the chocolate chips for just plain biscuit beignets.
Regular Beignets Instructions
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix well in a bowl with a wire whisk. Beat milk, egg, oil and vanilla together and add to dry mixture. Beat batter with whisk until smooth.
- Drop by tablespoon full into hot oil either in skillet or deep fryer. Cook to golden brown on each side being careful not to burn. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with honey, syrup or molasses. Makes about 24 beignets.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.Follow us on Instagram. © The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without the written permission of the copyright holder.