ONION PATTIES – AMISH RECIPE

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Onion patties are quick and easy to make and come from the Amish.  They make great appetizers and snacks.  Serve onion patties with ketchup, salsa, ranch dressing or any other kind of dip you and your family like.  These patties taste a lot like fried onion rings.  You could double or triple the recipe if serving a large crowd.  They can be reheated and will keep for several days refrigerated.  I fry these onion patties just like I would my fried cornbread.

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons cornmeal (self-rising or regular)
2 1/2 cups chopped onions (I used 1 1/2 large white onions, chopped)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cooking oil (I used Canola)

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, black pepper and cornmeal in a large bowl.  Mix in chopped onions.  Pour in milk and mix well with spoon.  Heat oil in skillet on top of the stove.  Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil.  Cook on one side until brown and flip to cook on other side.   I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup full of batter for each pattie. You can add more oil to the skillet if you need to do so while frying.  Makes 10 to 12 onion patties. Enjoy!

Note:  You could add some garlic powder or hot sauce or any other seasonings you like to the batter before cooking if you like hot and spicy.

Don’t Forget to Pin Onion Patties!

Feel free to “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter icons below.  You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. Tom Covington says:

As Good as they are, these Onion Patties are primarily Hush Puppies without an egg. They are still YUMMY.

2. I believe every recipe is a starting point. I made this recipe today, and it turned out very well. I did drain the. On a rack, and they did retain their crispness. I am going to make this recipe again. However, the only changes I will make is to omit the sugar, add some cayenne pepper and replace the milk with beer. My only regret is that it won’t be a truly Amish recipe. Thank you for sharing.

3. Could you put these in an air fryer?

4. Paula Davidovich says:

I made these tonight and they were delicious! Light and crisp! The whole family loved them! Thank you so much!

5. Carmen Smith says:

I was looking for new ways to use onions & this recipe sounds absolutely wonderful! I’ve always had an interest in the Amish and I’m glad I found this. I am going to make it with our chicken & corn on the cob dinner, only I’m substituting the dairy with broth & omitting the cornmeal as I never keep any in my pantry. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

6. I made these tonight, had all the ingredients prepped then say that someone drank all the milk. So I improvised and added and egg and a little chicken broth. They were delicious! So I guess this could be a solution to the dairy problem.

7. Can you make it without the cornmeal or substitute it for something else?

You can try leaving it out Danielle. I have not tried it without the cornmeal but I don’t think it would make a big difference.

8. John S Anderson says:

Re the query about dairy free, I have not tried this with these patties but my wife is very dairy intolerant and I use nothing but OAT MILK as a milk substitute, it has never failed and I se no reason why it should work with this recipe.

9. Any suggestions for making it dairy free? Maybe almond milk?

10. Geraldine Beale says:

MY PATTIES ARE VERY GREASY, I DRAIN THEM ON PAPER TOWEL

11. Susie Nelson says:

What is the best way to reheat the Amish onion patties so they stay crisp?

You can reheat them in the microwave or oven but they won’t be as crisp as when you made them. I find with any fried food like salmon patties, onion patties or even fried potatoes, you can add a tiny bit of oil to a skillet and reheat for best crispiness. Hope this helps, Susie.

12. These are wonderful and I sometimes switch from the chopped onion to frozen corn kernels with all else remaining the same.

13. I made these this week, they were delish. I did half the recipe and it was stil a bit much for my daughter and I. I plan to make them again this week!
    Thanks for the great recipes

You are so welcome, Pat. Happy you are enjoying the recipe and happy to have you as a part of our community. Have a great weekend.

14. I haven’t seen these onion patties in years. I can’t wait to try out this recipe, thank you for sharing it.

You are so welcome, Steve. Hope you enjoy the recipe and have a great weekend. Thank you for being a part of our community.

15. Nancy K. Foster says:

Do you have recipes for KEFIR?