Southern Pea Salad TSLC

Pea Salad is one of my favorites.  I love trying new ways to make it and using different ingredients each time.  This salad is great served on lettuce leaves or just served as a side dish to any meal.  I can make a meal of just the salad. Wonderful dish for any holiday meal.

1 (16 ounce) package frozen sweet peas, thawed and uncooked (I have used canned peas, too)
2 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
4 to 6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled or 1 cup ham, cooked and chopped, optional
1/2 cup chopped green onion (could use regular onion)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (can use any kind of cheese)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds or 1/2 cup celery, chopped
dash cayenne
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
Combine uncooked, thawed peas, (I just thaw the peas in the microwave and drain) eggs, bacon or ham or both, onion, cheese, pepper, salt, garlic powder, celery seeds or celery and cayenne in a salad bowl.  Mix in the mayonnaise and sour cream.  Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Enjoy.
Note:  You can also add tomatoes, green pepper, dill or sweet pickles, pimentos or water chestnuts to this salad.  This is one you can use your own imagination and make it to your liking.  We like the recipe above but I add both  the bacon and ham to my salad.
Southern Pea Salad - TSLC
Don’t Forget to Pin!
 Southern Pea Salad
Don’t forget to check out these salad recipes:
Potato Salad for a Crowd
Ranch Pasta Salad
Seven Layer Vegetable Salad
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below each post.
Attention Fans

1. linda roberts says:

We love pea salad, I always make mine with drained canned peas, We like the texture better. That’s just us….lol. I also cut up my cheese in small squares. That is how I was taught by my grandmother. I love this site, it gives me so many ideas and memories!

2. Debra LeDoux says:

I’ve made this for years…My kids love. But never had with bacon. I’m adding for Easter!! Thanks so much!!

3. Pingback: TOP THREE RECIPES FROM LAST WEEK | The Southern Lady Cooks

4. Yummo!!

5. Liz Smith says:

I like to make this with my own homemade dressing, which is similar in taste to Marzetti’s slaw dressing. I use mayo, sugar, and cider vinegar. I don’t know amounts, just add a little of all, taste, and adjust by adding a little more sugar or vinegar. You could also just sub the Marzetti’s.

6. When taking this for a potluck or a picnic use the peas frozen right from the freezer. This will help keep the salad cold yet thaw enough it’s ready to eat.

7. Thank-you so much now i am going to make it

8. This is most certainly a keeper. What makes it one is the variety of ingredients that can be added as a choice. Thanks.

9. I ate this at a dinner one time and loved it. This will be my first time making it, I can’t wait, thanks for posting.

10. I can’t eat mayo but use sour & add a packet of ranch dressing mix. I also add croutons & red onion chopped fine.

11. That just looks and sounds so good it should be sinful, was my first thought just now, I haven’t ever had just a pea salad before but at my house we love to add them on our homemade “house” salads which usually consist of lettuce, boiled eggs, cheese, bacon, ham or turkey and what ever else sounds good to add and when I added them to my little girls salad one day (not sure if she’d notice them or not) she said when she was done that she wanted some more of those little green balls on hers because they were yummy!

12. rocky rouse says:

3bears alaska in alaska makes this salad and sells it in their stores,but they add cauliflower and broccoli to it. is quite delicious, thank you for the recipe. been looking for it.

13. My mom made it with lots of celery, a little of grated onion, chopped apples, and sone finely chopped red pepper.

14. Jan Lewis says:

it’s a lot like my 7-Layer Salad. I love them. It’s strange…I am not crazy about English (green) peas but I love them in a salad.

15. My Uncle Dave asked me to make this every time he came to OK. from Ca. Made me think of him. love him and miss him

16. This looks so good. But my husband is not a pea fan. I could try making it with out the peas. Then just add them to mine. It’s worth a try.

17. Sandra Wechsler says:

Thank you so much for this recipe. My late mother made it for us especially in the summer. I recall her making it once at the height of winter and it perked us all up. Both she and my sister have passed on so I thank you for the recipe I will make this coming weekend for my family,sandi wechsler

18. I just made this salad ~~well my version for it but i do think they are all family of variations of a theme here 3 nights ago ~~must be that old adage great minds ~~so timely ~~I do add fresh dill in mine along with a jolt of very very very finely mined jalapeno ~~:))~`one hardly does know what hit them but just that something has ~~:)))~~funny but i have now taken to adding jalapeno to my pimento cheese as well ~~love you page ~~so happy I found it ~~smile ~~happy Thursday Ya’ll

19. I have made this before and used diced Spam when I didn’t have ham. Could not tell the difference!

• I know some people, including my parents, love Spam. But I’m quite certain I could tell the difference. 🙂 I have always loved ham, but the only way I can barely tolerate Spam is fried. However, this type of recipe is the kind that easily incorporates different tastes!

• linda roberts says:

LOL…..I hate spam! I could tell in a heartbeat if it was there. It is just one of those things I can tell the texture of. We had to eat so much growing up, because we were so poor. Sometimes we had the kind that was given as commodities, like the cheese in the brown box. I feel blessed to have what I have now. God blessed us then as he does now!

20. I had forgotten about pea salad. My mom made it in the spring and summer for Saturday lunch. I love it with bar b que chicken. Thanks for the reminder. We put sweet pickles in ours too.

21. Green olives are also good in this.

22. A neighbor used to make this exact salad…but she ‘stretched’ it a bit by adding a bit of cooked pasta, which I think must also require a bit more dressing. It was SO good. My favorite on a hot summer day

23. make it with Feta cheese — oh yummm

24. My mother use to make this. It is so good. Glad you posted this recipe, very similar to my mother’s. May she RIP!