We Southerners love beignets!  If you have ever been to Cafe du Monde in New Orleans and had their famous chicory coffee and beignets you know what I am talking about.   A beignet is a pastry made from dough and deep-fried then rolled in confectioners sugar. (A doughnut without the hole)   This is an easy way to make these little treats and you won’t be able to stop eating them!  A great family activity because children love them as well as adults. I am posting two recipes here.  One is made with canned biscuits and the other is made from “scratch” with flour. They are both good and great with coffee, y’all!

Chocolate Beignets
1 regular can of biscuits
chocolate chips
 oil for frying (enough to make about 2 inches of oil in skillet or deep fryer)
powdered sugar
chocolate syrup

Spread each biscuit into a circle and add 4 chocolate chips and fold the biscuit in half, pressing edges together. Drop each biscuit into oil around 350 degrees.  They will come to the top as soon as you drop them in oil.  Turn to brown both sides and remove from oil with slotted spoon.  Have a bowl of powdered sugar ready and roll hot beignets in sugar.  Drizzle with chocolate syrup. Makes 10 beignets.  Enjoy!

We like these with and without the chocolate syrup.  You can also make these leaving out the chocolate chips for just plain biscuit beignets.

Regular Beignets

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Honey, Syrup, Molasses or Powdered Sugar (Optional)
Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Mix well in a bowl with a wire whisk.  Beat milk, egg, oil and vanilla together and add to dry mixture.  Beat batter with whisk until smooth.  Drop by tablespoon full into hot oil either in skillet or deep fryer. Cook to golden brown on each side being careful not to burn.  Drain on paper towels.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with honey, syrup or molasses.  Makes about 24 beignets.
 Beignets - TSLC
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below. Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss new posts when they come out! Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have almost 20,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.

1. From scratch, these are as good as I remember from New Orleans!

2. Just a reminder for European cooks, USA biscuits are your scones not cookies. I loved New Orleans beignets with powdered sugar and chicory coffee. So good, I’ll have to try this recipe.

3. connie casanova says:

I am going to try these they sound Great

4. Is all purpose flour, self raising or plain?

5. WENDY SWANSON says:

NUM ! I’de like to try and make these and then Roll in Cinn Sugar – as they do some of the Mini Donuts that they have at the Fairs ! Mmmmmmm !

6. Mary Vance says:

I have made these before with powdered sugar, but this time I made a caramel glaze and DRIZZLED over the top…YUMMY

7. I came across your site from The Refined Palate, and was delighted to see this recipe. I made some beignets for the first time this past week and it is lovely to see them made by someone who knows all about them! Thank you.

8. Thank you for the recipes … love the idea of making them from scratch … but who doesn’t like the simplicity of canned biscuits 🙂

9. Debbie McVey says:

I would rather make these from scratch than to use canned biscuits. I’ve never made them, but am seriously considering it. I have had them in NOLA many years ago. Your recipe looks so very easy. Maybe I’ll just make some for dessert for the Super Bowl Game. We’re having assorted cheeses with fruit and bagel crisps/crackers, meatballs, wings, and these would make a quick and easy dessert. Who says they’re just for breakfast? Thank you so much for the recipe. I have just printed it so I won’t have to search for it later!

10. I have made these for yrs the canned biscuit version we call them kettle cakes they delish …..

11. Susan McGuire says:

Just a lil tip, put your powered sugar in a brown grocery bag, fold the end a few times & shake, shake, shake! The bag also soaks up the oil!! 🙂 Another topping thats good is cinnamon & sugar & shake!

12. Cherie Bruce says:

Hi from Australia – Thank you for your recipes. Especially the ones from scratch. We do not have tin biscuits here, so very very helpful. I remember my Mum almost 50 years ago making these and we called them Puffed-a-Loons lol Beignets sound so much nicer. We loved them as kids and it was great for mum who didn’t have anything else in the cupboard. Thank you so much again for ALL your fabulous recipes. Enjoying them immensley. Light & Blessings

13. I’ve never had a Beignet but they sound wonderful and easy if you use canned bisquits ! I make Donuts by removing the middle and frying them and coating with powdered sugar or sugar and cinnamon ! I am going to try the recipe for the ones you make ! Thank you I love your site , It is the best one on the internet !!!!

14. I just made these today and they are absolutely divine.. Sinfully delicious ! Took me less than 20 minutes total from start to finish.

15. Just checked out the print friendly function and it looks like it will work great now.

16. This is easier than waiting 90 minutes in line in NOLA!