EASY CHRISTMAS DIVINITY

Easy Christmas Divinity - TSLCThis divinity is so easy to make in the microwave and so good. You won’t ever make it any other way again!  Makes a great gift, too. This recipe is adapted from a Sharp Carousel Microwave Cookbook that came with my first microwave many years ago.

2 cups white granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans or nuts of your choice, chopped

TSLCCOOKBOOKBANNER1

Combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt in a glass casserole dish.  Cover with saran wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave and take off saran wrap. Stir well and return to microwave uncovered.  Cook on high for another 4 to 5 minutes until reaches hard ball stage when a little is dropped in cold water.  Remove and cool about 4 minutes.  Beat egg whites until stiff with mixer.  Pour sugar mixture over egg whites beating constantly with mixer until mixture starts to lose its gloss and holds together.  About 4 or 5 minutes.  Stir in vanilla and nuts.  Drop by teaspoonful onto wax paper.  Makes about 25 pieces depending on size you make them.  Enjoy!

Note: To clean glass bowl you used in microwave soak in warm soapy water immediately after emptying sugar mixture.

Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 23,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. Mine did not work! My microwave is 1200 watts. Do you think maybe the extra wattage made the difference? cooked to much? It registered hard crack stage. I read where yours was 1000 watts
    Any help would be appreciated. Yours looks so pretty and I am sure it must be delicious.

The only thing I can tell you is to try cooking it not as long and just watch to make sure it does not burn. Also, people say to not make it on a rainy day but that does not seem to matter when I make it. I have made it for years with no problems. It is kind of trial and error I guess until you get the hang of it.

2. Make it on a sunny day!!

3. This is the best divinity recipe I have ever used! I was worried because I live in a high altitude in the mountains of NM. I followed it exactly. 5 minutes then 4 minutes and beat it with my stand mixture for 4 minutes. My husband loved it and it brightened up our holidays! Thank you “The Southern Lady”

Thank you Cathie! I am so happy you like this recipe and are enjoying the divinity. I have always thought this was so easy and make it every year by the recipe with no problems. You and hubby have a wonderful Christmas.

• [email protected] says:

Thank you 1000 times for mentioning high altitude!!!!!

• Love the recipe…how do I store it until Christmas Day?

4. Sue LaFollette says:

I am 48 years old, and never attempted divinity. MY grams used to stir it by hand and use a thermometer…that never interested me. This recipe is the BOMB!!!! Easy…just like it says! I did however use a standing mixer so I could handle everything better. Thank you thank you! Will make again!!

5. Dawn Bushong says:

Instead of dropping from a spoon can I put in a pastry bag?

6. Lynn Mertins says:

My mother made divine divinity. I have tried her recipe countless times since her death 30 years ago. I even use the same heavy crockery bowl she used. I’ve made a mess every time, ending up with a bowl of sweet soup or with a big block of white granite. Then I cry for my mother. I’m sure she would blame my failures on the electric mixer, since she amazingly whipped hers by hand!!!

With renewed hope, I will try your recipe in a few days. However, I’ll keep my box of Kleenex handy, for I’m sure my mother will be putting the whammy on divinity beaten with an electric mixer AND cooked in a microwave, a contraption which she deigned to have in her kitchen.

7. The Southern Lady says:

This comment came from a 15 year old who made this recipe for the first time, Carla: I am 15 & this was the first time I ever tried to make Divinity & it was easy & it turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. If you follow the recipe this one should be really easy for anyone.

• Can I cook the sugar mixture in a pot? I have a pot from my grandmother that is only used to make candy. By the way I am 59 years old, so you that pot must be old old old.

8. I started making divinity 40 years ago- I learned from an expert that high humidity in the kitchen or house can add to the way it turns out- also when pouring the syrup into the egg whites the thinner and slower you pour it the fluffier and better it turns out

9. Vicki Rancher says:

Can you use brown sugar instead of white sugar?

I have never tried it with brown sugar.

• Sandra Newton says:

This is in reply to using brown sugar instead of white sugar. I have a “Meringue” cookbook and it has a recipe that uses white and brown sugar in both the meringue and the plum filling but I don’t see any that use only brown sugar.

10. Great Recipe AND easy!!! I made and it was loved by everyone. Turned into highest demanded recipe..

11. I am 15 & this was the first time I ever tried to make Divinity & it was easy & it turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.

12. seattlesandra says:

I just finished making this divinity and it turned out just great! I liked the suggestion of putting each drop into a nut cup. I would do it after I already “dropped” them because, being my first time making it, I was a little clumsy handling them. Also, I should’ve used a larger bowl for the egg whites and smaller one – or one with a handle – for the sugar mixture. It was hard to handle the egg white bowl moving all over the counter and trying to pour the hot sugar mixture into it. I’m covered with spun sugar :-) but it is delish. Any suggestions for my bowl issue? Thanks.

13. I’m excited to try this recipe. My mom used to make heavenly divinity the old fashion way & I don’t have the touch or patience. This sounds like a great solution. Thanks!

14. I have used this recipe for the last 2 years..The best and easiest Divinity I have ever made! Thanks Judy!

15. This is the fastest,
    best tasting candy ever! Thank you so much!!!!!

16. I have been looking for this recipe for years!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH

17. Forrest Ann Jordan says:

Sorry…..mine failed! I think it was human error. Will give it another try though.

18. (Regarding traditional divinity) My mother and grandmother always told me that you have to make it on a sunny and clear day. Otherwise it won’t set up properly. Every time that my mother have made it on a semi cloudy day, it would be flat and crumble apart.

19. I feel like a dummy but what do you mean by “when a little is dropped in cold water?”

20. This is an awesome recipe

21. The Southern Lady says:

My microwave is 1,000 watts Patsy and I use this recipe. Just take out and check if you think it is going to burn.

22. I love divinity I use to make it but I lost my recipe thanks for sharing it!!!!

23. Janet Haynes says:

I’m allergic to corn. What is a good alternative to karo or corn syrup?

• Might try Karo syrup or make your own sugar cane syrup. Heating equal parts water and granulated white sugar, example: 1 cup water + 1 cup sugar, heat until it reduces down to a thick syrup. Let cool. Be careful not to burn it, then it will be too brown.

• Golden syrup is a glucose based syrup used in England. It is fairly similar to corn syrup.

24. I always add a few chopped maraschino cherries to the last divinity in mixing bowl so divinity didn’t get too dry. Plus gives nice color & mild flavor

25. Karo syrup

26. Rosa Jacquard Bood says:

I’m not sure what the recipe means by “beat until it holds together”. I’m new at making Divinity;would you please explain how I will know when I’ve beaten it enough? Thank you !!!

27. Me and my granddaughter tried to make this divinity.. Unfortuneately it came out rather soft. I think I know what happened though.. We shoulda whipped it longer.. Is there a way to trouble shoot the recipe to make it a little harder?? I will make it again until I get it right!!

28. After mixing it for quite a while with no success, I put it in the fridge for a short time and then mixed it more. It came together well after that!

29. I have made this 2 times now and they turn out great I used almond flavoring instead of the vanilla

30. Love it

31. Mixer….do you use a hand mixer with this recipe?

32. ive never had this stuff before what does it taste like?

33. Could Splenda be used instead of sugar?

34. Ceresa Rodwell says:

My Grandmother used to add marashino cherries (chopped) to hers do you think they will work in this? Thanks! Any tips on adding the cherries?

35. most divinity needs to be made when it is not raining and the humidity is low…..other wise it could flop. Still tastes good, just looks a lil on the flat side.

36. Cheryl Martin says:

went on a trek today to find divinity. First stop, Walmart, They always have it at the Holidays right?? It is no where. Second stop, walgreens. No luck there either. Decided to try this, and it was super easy. Just like I remember it :) Thank you for sharing!!!!

• Tried the Walmart and Walgreen’s BIG disappointment very unusual flavor. to many preservatives. Stick to making yourself.

37. Thank You for this recipe. My mother made this for years , and only made it if the sun was shinning and very cold outside. I wish she was here to try it in the microwave. I will be trying this out soon, and wish me good luck that it works.

38. I like to add candy flavoring that they sell in little 1-dram bottles at the drugstore. They’re available at many drugstores or online in many flavors; my favorite is Butter Rum. You can also drop them into those tablespoon-sized nut cups instead of onto wax paper. Makes them a lot neater and the serving size is just right.

39. I put a half of pecan nut or half of an English walnut on mine says:

I always put an English Walnut nut on top of each peice of candy or you could use one half of pecan nut

40. when a little is dropped in cold water so what does this mean?

You just take a few drops and drop it in cold water. If it turns hard in the water where you can pick it up and it is hard between your fingers, it is at the hard ball stage or you can use a candy thermometer and cook to that stage on the thermometer.

41. Demonell Stevenson says:

Sounds good.

42. Mary Grissom says:

Thank you so much for the recipe .Im gonna try it .

43. Deanne Clark says:

always wanted an easy recipe. thanks.

44. Looks delicious

45. In high humidity just reduce the water by 2 or 3 tablespoons. Should be fine.

46. I have made divinity for over 50 years, when it is sticky I let it sit in the mixer bowl about a hour to let it dry out a little. when it dries out you can drop it off of a spoon

47. sounds good, but what wattage mircrowave are u using? and if its a 700 watt, would u first cook it longer than five min?

Mine is a 1000 watt. You just need to keep an eye on it that it does not start to burn and maybe cook a minute longer.

48. Never made divinity before, but this looks so easy! I think I will try this for Christmas!

49. I make this often and always use clear vanilla flavoring which you can purchase almost anywhere. This is one way of making sure it doesn’t turn tan or brown, etc.

50. Sharron Horton says:

You can use clear vanilla too, if you don’t want the ‘caramel-ish’ color.

51. I have never made it in the microwave, but am going to give it a try as soon as I buy some Karo Syrup. I have made divinity for over 30 years, some times it turns out perfect and other times not. Humidity does play a large role in turn out. I love divinity and will let you know how mine turns out when I get a chance to try this recipe. Love your recipes.

52. I bought some Divinity, back yrs. ago from the amish. It had been droped by a spoon . They had put strawberry Jello in it , Just dry out of the box. It was very good,and not sticky. I guess one could use any flavor Jello that they may like. All so I do not know if it was the same recipe that you have here or not.

53. this is far most the easiest reciepe for divinity!!! made some for Christmas for the family and it was a hit!!! made some just a few minutes ago for us so yummie !!!!

54. Frances Horne says:

I have made the recipe 4 times in the last 10 days. Mine was a little sticky until the last time. I beat the mixture a minute longer to which helped. Love the receipt & my family & friends do too.

55. Frances Horne says:

I tried the Divinity recipe today & it turned out beautiful. I dropped it by teaspoon fulls on the wax paper & did use the wooden spoon. After it had firmed up I went back & shaped it to have a smoother finish. Excellent recipe!!!!!! Thanks so much for posting it.

56. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I definitely want to make some for gifts! It looks so good!

57. My Mother used to worry about the humidity when making these! I wish she could see how easy these are to make now. I miss my Mother!

58. What wattage is your microwave?

59. Lyndon Johnson says:

Delicious!!!!!! <3

60. Are the pecans (or nuts in general) optional by chance? If so, will these turn out differently if they are not added; meaning consistency or texture change?