“It’s difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato.” ~~ Lewis Grizzard

Want to use up some of those extra tomatoes?   Make a tomato pie. This pie is easy and good.

1 deep dish pie shell (I used a bought one, can make your own)
tomatoes, (about 3 cups if using chopped tomatoes) sliced
green onions (can use regular chopped onions) enough to make about 1/2 cup, chopped
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
Salt & Pepper
2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
5 pieces bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Shredded cheese (about 1 1/2 cups of your choice) I used shredded parmesan, swiss, and mexican 1/2 cup of each
Cook empty pie crust for about 10 minutes in 400 degree oven. Be sure to punch holes in the bottom of the crust. Remove from oven and add a layer of cheese, onion, and tomatoes.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and basil. Continue layering until ingredients are gone except for 1/2 cup of cheese.  Mix together the crumbled bacon, mayo, and cheese and spread on top of the pie. Sprinkle with extra cheese if you want.   Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.  Let stand for at least 15 minutes before cutting.  (Note: I chopped my tomatoes and let them drain in a colander for at least 30 minutes before adding to pie) Most people slice the tomatoes. Don’t go overboard on the mayo and try to use firm tomatoes.   You don’t want the pie to be juicy.  ENJOY!
Don’t forget to check out these great recipes, too:
Vinegar Pie
Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Pie
Fresh Blackberry Pie
e-mail reminder TSLC
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.

1. Sounds soooo good! Would you have a recipe for a cornmeal type crust? Thank you.

2. teresa foster says:

Made this pie last summer and it was, to say the least, UNBELIEVABLY wonderful …..repeat again this year…

3. Love this recipe!!!!! I tweeked it a little bit to use more ingrediants that i had. I also put in sauteed mushrooms and jar of chopped up marinated artichoke hearts. I didnt put mayo on the top only cheese. I took the advise to chop the tomatos and let them drain, worked really well. It was all very delicious and great the next day too for lunch. I would highly recommend this recipe

4. I am trying to find out how I can join your newsletter. Would you Please help me with my problem? Please

I don’t actually have a newsletter. You can sign up to receive notification of new posts by e-mail. Look on the right hand side of any page on the website and put your e-mail in the box that says “Get an e-mail when new recipes are posted”. I cannot do it for you, it won’t let me. Your e-mail address is not shared with anyone and you will be notified any time I do a post about anything going on with us. We have over 21,000 subscribers to our e-mails. Thank you for asking and have a great week ahead, Mable.

5. Mine is in the oven and the house smells amazing. We can’t wait to eat it!! Thank you for the recipe. Tomato’s, onions and spices are all from our garden. Nice inexpensive meal!

6. Have two ready for the oven.Can’t hardly wait to try.

7. Loved your tomato pie. I had two small crust&all other Inge. So I made two layers in each I’ve. Ever tasted.thank u&also posting Lewis grissard.

So happy you enjoyed the pie Norma and thank you for letting me know. Happy to have you on the site. Have a great weekend.

8. I just made two tomato pies. First I’ve. Ever looks beautiful.but shush some one may be listening.

9. Lyndi Schonfelder says:

Just made two! They smell amazing, can’t wait to try them!

10. Jackie Saylors says:

Have been making tomato pie for years but never with the bacon. Can’t wait to try this. My friends beg me to make it! Thanks for sharing!

11. Was fantastic, topped with cheddar & pepper cheese…Mmm good!

12. Made this tonite. It was delicious !!! Everyone loved it. I plan on making this often.

13. I love that tomato pie!

14. chiggerfarmer says:

Tomato Pie, excellent idea! Have tomatoes that will be ripe very soon and will try this. Also, thanks for the Lewis Grizzard quote!

15. gen watkins says:

Just wondering if using green onions will chopping the chives in will effect the taste

16. Do you have a recipe for green tomato pie?

17. I used Roma tomatoes and marinated mozzarella for the cheese. The house smells amazing!

18. Linda deal says:

How many tomatoes would be three cups?

19. I have made this several times!! It is soooo good !!

20. I have had tomatoe pie before this one sound so much better.I think i will give it a try. The spices weren’t in the one I had And the bacon makes it even sound better.It looks so darn yummy…

21. Beth Hickman says:

I make a pie like this only, instead of using a pie crust, I use slices of eggplant. Think I’m going to try this with the pie crust next time. Sounds great. 🙂

22. I never thought of pie for tomatoes! I am so excited I shared this out at my group recipes page, I gave this site full criedt and have given your web address and told everyone to come on over and look at all of the goodies out here. I hope this was ok. If not please let me know and I will remove it, but I really do not want too!!!! LOL!

23. I made this tonight – only did 2 layers in the crust – did not want to waste my good garden tomatoes JUST in case….I WILL MAKE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND SO ON AND SO ON….it really is fab….I went by your recipe exactly and the flavors are wonderful. 🙂 THANK YOU!!!

24. Just made two of these, and hubby and I ate over 1/2 of one already! Good stuff!!

25. I will be making this pie this weekend! I bet it is awesome if made with Creole tomatoes!

26. Just got back from the farmer’s market with a bunch of beefy tomatoes! Need to hit the store for cheese and a small jar of mayo, and I’m ready to do this! I’ve had it before, and it was tasty, but it didn’t have bacon in it! That sounds even BETTER!!! Can’t wait to make it again!!!

27. I made this pie last night with tomatoes someone had given us from their garden. It was delicious! My husband and I ate the whole thing!

28. This was excellent,Iput it all together Saturday and baked it for sunday dinner,None of us had it,Was sort of worried about not cooking it immediatelyafter putting it together it was not mushy,thanks you Judy for the recipe.

29. Your tomato pie sounds terrific with the bacon in it. I hope we get a good crop of tomatoes this season.

30. Looks delicious! Love the cheese on top! It’s like icing on the cake 😉

31. Sounds yummy! I am a huge tomato fan, and yes, nothing beats home-grown! I have such great memories of eating tomatoes in the summer when I was a kid. Used to get mouth ulcers from all the acidity, but it was worth it! Thanks for sharing! ~ Sheila

32. Tonya Baxter says:

Sounds good gonna try it tonight! Thinking more bacon and have a bacon and tomato pie yum

33. I work in a greenhouse, and was wondering what kind of pie tomatoes go in. We have a tomato that is “good in pies”….now I know. Thank you!!!!

34. I love, tomato pie. It is a summer favorite with the fresh tomatoes!

35. My mom makes this for us and we love it. Always forget to ask for the recipe – now I’ve got it! Thanks!

36. Y’all are gonna LOVE this pie. I’ve been making it every summer now for about 3 years and it’s always a big hit. Main thing??? Drain those maters!!!

37. We’re fortunate to have a blessed bounty of tomatoes in our garden right now, and I’ve been looking for something different to make. This looks delicious, Judy….thank you!

38. Tomato pie is one of my favorite meals this time of year. I was in Virginia last week and picked up some heirloom tomatoes that were out of this world! I have eaten so many tomato sandwiches I think I’m gonna burst. I am going to try your recipe.

39. Our tomatoes burned up in the heat so we don’t have any surplus, but I’d buy some to make this pie. It looks so good…like a tomato quiche. 🙂

40. My oh my, I want that whole pie!

41. I have made this in the past..and it is soooooo GOOD!! 🙂