BUTTERMILK PIE

Buttermilk Pie TSLC

Buttermilk Pie is a Southern favorite.  You don’t have to like buttermilk to like this great tasting custard like dessert.  It is great for the holidays or just any time and so easy to make.  This recipe makes one deep dish or two regular pies.  I used frozen pie crusts but you can make your own or use my recipe for homemade pie crusts.

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine or 8 tablespoons or 1 stick, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Beat eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla with mixer until well blended.  Add buttermilk,  flour and nutmeg continue mixing about 1 minute. Pour into pie shells.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Enjoy!
Buttermilk Pie - TSLC
Don’t forget to check out these pie recipes:
Easy Strawberry Pie
Southern ApplePie
Savory Chess Pie

FacebookTwitterPinterestPrintFriendly

1. Sounds great. Can you use self rising flour instead of all purpose ?

2. janice gunnells says:

They are delicious

3. Michael Hipps says:

Do you need to pre-bake the crust?

4. Great, I will buy it :)

5. i’been looking for a recipe for buttermilk pie for ten years. i first taste one in texas have been looking and thanks to you i now have it THANK-YOU

6. one of the best pies ever and so easy

7. Sandra Stinson says:

I love your recipes. I have used so many of them.

8. I make butter milk pie but sometimes I throw a cup or so of coconut, , makes a great coxonut pie too.

9. Same recipe I have been using for years.

10. As a child, this was one of my favorites, once I was convinced you couldn’t taste the buttermilk.

11. I simply love Southern cooking and you have the most fabulious{spelled wrong} recipes, my only problem is I don’t have a printer and have to hand write them. This is my firstcomputer so I am just learning how to wprk it.

12. This is a easy recipe and makes two pies , and delicious. I sometimes use lemon flavoring though. Lemon makes it good for the springtime. I have made it some at Easter. Its good at anytime though. I imagine you might could use some other flavoring too. Maybe almond or something. Might have to try it someday.

13. Cora Lea Gaither says:

I don’t like buttermilk by itself,but I LOVE this pie

14. Cannot beat Buttermilk pie my wife has her mother’s old recipe for it and she has to make several every Holiday because the kid’s all want one to take home too.

15. Very good recipe!! Me & my family love this!!!

16. Best pie EVER! I’ve eaten it since I was tiny. Every year on Thanksgiving morning, my aunt and I would sneak away and take a slice out of the perfect pie and eat it. Such a great memory. Thank you for sharing with others. :)

17. i made this and my family loved it!

18. this looks ridiculously amazing, i havent been able to stop thinking about it since last night, lol. im going to have to try this

19. Nancy Hetzell says:

These (buttermilk and chess pies) sound wonderful. How well would they freeze? Also can you use the buttermilk “replacement powder” in these recipes?

20. Add a cup of coconut !!!!!!!!

21. Just took this out of the oven , can’t wait to try it …

22. I love this pie….do u have to thaw your pie crust before baking?

23. I grew up eating buttermilk pie….Love it !!!! The only difference in the pies my mama made is no flour, no vanilla and no nutmeg… We added cream of tartar.. It give it a little more tang. Ours was really a buttermilk pie….

24. Is this called Chess pie also, if so I love it.

25. Richard L Walker says:

It may not be low fat or low carb but it is delicious and I will be making one … or two.

26. Judy, I’m glad you put this up here – it reminded me of Grammy’s transparent pie at the table! Good thing I’ll have something to take to Thanksgiving supper (one of them, at least). Thanks for the reminder! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Kate

27. I was wondering what all I could use buttermilk for… I just remember my Grandpa Ross drinking it, and Grandma warning me and my brother, “You two better stick with the sweet milk.” Thank goodness for your recipes. I’ve been enlightened!

• Richard Ault says:

I do not like the taste of butter milk but, I use it when I make chicken fried steak and also marinade cat fish in it for a couple of hours. Then there is buttermilk pancakes.