Just about everyone from the South knows about cheese straws. My Mississippi Mother-in-Law would serve these little cheese sticks when she had her lady friends over for tea or to visit. They are great to serve at parties. Cheese straws make great snacks and are good with a dip. They keep well in an airtight container in the fridge. I like them as a snack during the day when I get hungry! Children love them and they are fun to make.
Ingredients needed for Southern Cheese Straws
sharp cheddar cheese
Sesame seeds, toasted
These little treats are also the perfect addition to any Kentucky Derby Party. They go wonderful along with Kentucky Benedictine spread too.“Every year I throw a little Super Bowl party for my husband and son and every year I try to find something different to make. I have to make the same favorites like wings and such but I like to try a few new things also. These are perfect! I’m new to your FB but in the last hour I’ve copied about 22 recipes. I’m looking forward to becoming a regular to your page.” -Judie Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Southern Cheese Straws
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded and at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons butter or margarine or 1 stick softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted (Put seeds on baking sheet and toast in 325 degree oven about 10 minutes until brown)
- Combine all ingredients and keep mixing until you can form a ball. (I do this with my hands. It’s kind of like making sausage balls. You have to work the butter and cheese into the flour). Roll out dough as thin as possible and cut strips 4 inches long by 1/2 inch wide. Bake on ungreased baking sheet in preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes until brown. Can turn during baking.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Don’t Forget to Pin! Follow us on Instagram. © The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.