Smoked sausage gumbo is a favorite with my family.
GUMBO: It is a dinner in itself, being soup, piece de résistance, entremet and vegetable in one. Healthy, and not heating to the stomach and easy of digestion, it should grace every table.” ~~William H. Coleman, ‘Historical Sketch Book and Guide to New Orleans and Environs’ (1985)
You could double for a large crowd, keeps well for days refrigerated and can be frozen.
Smoked sausage gumbo makes a wonderful weeknight meal.
Crock Pot Smoked Sausage Gumbo
- Crock Pot
- 1 1 lb. package smoked sausage (beef or turkesliced in small pieces.
- 1 1 lb. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small green pepper chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 1 lb. package frozen chopped okra
- 1 1 lb. can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup minute rice white or brown
- 1 teaspoon pepper regular or cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- Brown sausage, onion, and green pepper in olive oil and add to slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for four hours or low for six hours. This is a hearty and filling soup. Makes about 3 quarts.
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.