Lemon Chess cake is an old fashioned recipe my family loves. If you love lemon this cake is for you. It has a wonderful flavor and the texture of the cake is great. This is a wonderful cake to take to any spring or summer gathering. Makes a wonderful dessert cake and so good with a cup of coffee. You might also like to check out our recipe for blackberry crescent roll bars.
Lemon chess cake ingredients needed:
Nuts of your choice, Optional
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
The batter to this cake will be very thick before you add the egg whites, just continue to work with the batter until you can pour it into the pan. I also let the cake cool before I add the glaze. The texture of this cake is similar to a pound cake and the lemon flavor really is a winner. I must admit I have never been a huge fan of lemon but this cake is wonderful. I grated lemon zest to go over the top and I think it looks so pretty.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Lemon Chess Cake
- 2 sticks butter or 1 cup melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup nuts of your choice Optional
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Melt the butter and combine with brown sugar, white sugar and egg yolks mixing well with mixer. Add flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla extract and lemon extract and continue beating. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff and fold into batter with a spoon mixing well. Fold in nuts.
- Generously spray bundt pan and pour in batter. (You can make this cake in a 9 x 13 pan, too.) Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until center tests done. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle on lemon glaze recipe below.
Lemon Glaze Instructions
- Beat with whisk or spoon until you get the right consistency to pour over cake. Can add more milk if needed. (Can heat a few seconds in microwave. This makes it easier to pour. I use a small pitcher and drizzle over cake.)