Potato soup is a favorite of my family and we can eat this great soup anytime! It’s wonderful on a cold day but we enjoy it year round. Easy to make and one your family will absolutely love. You could double this recipe for a group of people of cut it in half. This soup keeps well for several days refrigerated and makes such a hearty meal.
Potato Soup Ingredients Needed:
Minced garlic (I use the kind you buy already minced in the jar)
All purpose flour
We love to top this soup with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped bacon is always a great addition too. As you can see this is an easy soup to make but it’s really hearty and wonderful on a cold day. It will warm you right up! Be sure and add these delicious cornbread muffins!
Don’t over cook this soup, your potatoes should still be in the form of a potato. If you over cook potato soup it turns to mush.
Full printable recipe in recipe card below.
“My family has been looking for my aunts potato soup recipe, but she passed without sharing it, even with her daughters, (they should have watched ) . Anyway l really think this is it or at least very close. I have already made it, my husband and I loved it, making it again soon, even in warmer weather, love it. Will share with my cousins.” – Judy
“Just made this again for the second time in as month. Love it.” -Becky
“I saw this recipe on a friend’s facebook page and decided to surprise my husband and make this for dinner tonight. What a hit!!! This recipe is definitely a keeper and was very easy to put together. Thanks for sharing.” – Sherry
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips, and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join thousands of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Hearty Potato Soup
- 8 to 10 medium potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic I use the kind you buy already minced in the jar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Place potatoes, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Do not drain.
- Add stick of butter. Pour evaporated milk into a bowl and whisk the flour into the milk. Add flour and milk mixture to your soup. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Garnish with crisp bacon or shredded cheese.
- This makes about a gallon of soup.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Be sure and PIN for later:
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.