CROCKPOT BLACK-EYED PEAS OR HOPPIN JOHN
Crockpot black-eyed peas are easy and delicious and can also be made on the stove top. It has been a tradition to serve black eyed peas on New Year’s Day in our family for many years. Serving this dish along with cabbage is supposed to bring you good luck and financial enrichment. This soup is also good in the summer and fall using fresh garden vegetables. This is a wonderful comfort food and is delicious served anytime with my recipe for fried cornbread hoecakes.
Crockpot Black-eyed Peas ingredients needed:
Dried black-eyed peas (you could use canned black-eyed peas)
Ham hock or one cup diced, cooked ham
Diced tomatoes (optional)
Chopped okra (optional) (can use frozen okra)
Salt and Pepper to taste
If you make this with canned black-eye peas you will not need to cover the peas with water once you put them in the crock pot. If you want more liquid once you get everything in the crock pot you could add another can of chicken broth but if you want them thicker just use the canned peas.
You can always use bacon in place of the ham. We always have country ham at Christmas and then make this for New Years Day using any leftover.
You could also make this in a pot on top of the stove. Just cut the cooking time until the black-eyed peas are tender.
This makes a meal by itself served with cornbread. You can also serve this over rice. Check out my cornbread muffin recipe. You will also love this delicious Black-Eyed Pea Casserole!
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
- 1 16 oz bag dried black-eyed peas (you could use canned black-eyed peas)
- 1 16 oz can chicken broth
- 1 ham hock or one cup diced cooked ham
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 16 oz can diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1 16 oz can chopped okra (optional)(can use frozen okra)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse peas, add to crock pot with enough water to cover all ingredients. Add chicken broth, ham, garlic, celery and onion, salt and pepper. (If you just want black-eyed peas, stop here with recipe and cook on high for 4 hrs. or low for 7 hrs. or until peas and celery are cooked).
- The tomatoes and okra can be added half way into the cooking for a recipe more like Hoppin John.You could also make this in a pot on top of the stove. Just cut the cooking time until the black-eyed peas are tender.
- We love this dish served over rice.
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.
Don’t forget to pin crockpot black-eyed peas.
Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.