This Chocolate Chip Banana Cake is a wonderful way to use bananas. The combination of chocolate and bananas is really good and the frosting really takes this cake to the next level. This cake would be a great addition to any gathering.
Chocolate chip banana cake ingredients needed:
All Purpose Flour
Quick Cooking Oats
Pecans or walnuts
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Frosting Ingredients Needed:
Pecans or Walnuts
You can easily use milk chocolate chips in this cake and leave the nuts out. Cakes are versatile so make it to your liking. We do use buttermilk because it makes this cake very moist. Buttermilk has a much higher fat content so it’s hard to substitute the buttermilk and still get the same texture. Full recipe in printable recipe card below.
“This chocolate banana cake was delicious. Made it for my husband this past weekend and between him and my grand-kids, it was gone in no time flat. Thanks for sharing.” – Shannon
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking, and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- 4 cups confectionery sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup pecans or walnuts chopped
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, mix in buttermilk, bananas and vanilla.
- Add flour, cocoa, oats, soda, salt and mix well. Fold in nuts and 1/2 cup chips. Pour into a sprayed or greased 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle other 1/2 cup chips on top of mixture. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes.
Chocolate Frosting Instructions
- Cream butter until smooth. Add vanilla.
- Mix together sugar and cocoa.
- Add to butter along with a little milk at a time until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
- Add more or less milk as needed. Spread on cake. Top with nuts
Don’t forget about our Ebooks! Each Ebook is a collection of our most popular recipes. You will have them all at your fingertips and can pull them up at any time. Nice and convenient instead of having to search a database. You can purchase each Ebook individually or buy the bundle.Follow us on Instagram. © The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder