Butterscotch rum cake is a delicious dessert and wonderful with coffee.
You won’t be able to leave this one alone and it won’t last long. Your family and guests will love it. When you need a delicious cake that is super simple, make this one! We love homemade cakes as much as the next person but sometimes a simple dessert just gets the job done. That is what this cake is! It’s basically a cake mix dressed up. I’ve made this cake for several occasions and it always gets rave reviews! I love a dessert that has a certain “wow” factor but is still simple to prepare and that is THIS cake.
Ingredients Needed for Butterscotch Rum Cake
Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow cake mix
Jello Butterscotch Instant Pudding and Pie Filling
Oil (I use Canola)
Rum (I used Bacardi Puerto Rican Rum)
Toll House butterscotch morsels
Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Classic White Frosting
Notes: you can easily make this cake in a 9X13 instead of a bundt pan. You can also use rum extract in this recipe.
If you like this recipe, you may also want to try our butterscotch banana bread. It’s also very simple to prepare and absolutely delicious!
Butterscotch Rum Cake
- 1 box Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic Yellow cake mix
- 1 3.4 ounce box Jello Butterscotch Instant Pudding and Pie Filling
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil I use Canola
- 1/2 cup rum you can use less (I used Bacardi Puerto Rican Rum)
- 1 cup walnuts chopped or nuts of your choice
- 1/2 cup Toll House butterscotch morsels
Vanilla Butterscotch Rum Frosting Ingredients
- 3/4 cup Toll House butterscotch morsels
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 16 ounce can Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Classic White Frosting
- 1 tablespoon Bacardi Puerto Rican Rum
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, and oil and mix well. Add cake mix, pudding mix, and rum; continue mixing. Fold in walnuts and butterscotch chips. Spray cake pan with cooking spray. Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 - 60 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes in pan before removing. Add Frosting.
- Combine butter and butterscotch morsels in a glass dish and microwave on high until melted. Remove and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the frosting. Return to microwave and heat just to pouring consistency. Remove and stir in rum. Can add more of the frosting until you get the right consistency to pour over cake. (If you have frosting left over, cover and put in fridge. Heat and serve over individual cake slices)
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!Don’t forget to pin our Butterscotch Rum Cake: Follow us on Instagram! © 2013 The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder