Brown beef stew is an old-fashioned recipe usually made in a skillet on top of the stove. This stew is easy and makes a delicious meal anytime. This recipe could be doubled for a gathering and is wonderful served with cornbread or over biscuits. It is very versatile in that you can add your favorite vegetables and even change the spices to suit your taste. This stew should freeze well, too.
Brown Beef Stew Ingredients Needed:
Beef stew meat
All Purpose Flour
V-8 juice (can use tomato juice)
This is a super versatile dish and you could easily add green beans to it or cabbage, lots of extra possibilities. This stew really has a wonderful taste and my whole family loved it. I made fried cornbread to go with it and it was a hearty dish on a cold night. This dish reheated just fine which is always nice, you could easily enjoy this one for a few nights.
You can easily use chicken broth or water in place of the beef broth and tomato juice in place of the V-8 juice. I think the V-8 juice gave this dish a great flavor.
This dish can easily be made in the crock pot too, directions in the printable recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital publication, Front Porch Life? It’s full of country living, easy recipes, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, relaxing, and cooking right away! Join 1000’s of others and start right now.
Brown Beef Stew
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup beef broth can use water or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups V-8 juice can use tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion cut in pieces
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cut up
- 3 to 4 carrots scraped and cut into pieces
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Coat the stew meat with the flour and brown in the butter. Whisk together the broth, V-8 juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, minced garlic and black pepper in a bowl.
- Pour over the stew meat. Add the potatoes, carrots and onion to the skillet along with the bay leaves.
- Cover and bring to a boil, turn down to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy.
Be sure and pin this delicious Brown Beef Stew:
Click here to follow us on Instagram.© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.