PENUCHE FUDGE

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Penuche Fudge - TSLCPenuche Fudge is my favorite fudge!  I love this candy and can make myself sick on it.

2 1/2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk (could use regular milk)
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup nuts of your choice (we like it with walnuts)

Bring brown sugar, milk and corn syrup to boil on top of the stove, stirring constantly. Cook to soft ball stage or about 238 degrees.  Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla. Do not stir. Let cool in pan 10 to 15 minutes.  Add nuts and beat with spoon until thickens and loses its gloss.  Spray an 8 x 8 dish and pour fudge into it.  Once firm cut into squares.  Enjoy!

If you like this recipe, check out these Five Fudge Recipes for Christmas
 Penuche Fudge - TSLC (2)

Be sure and Pin this fudge recipe for later!  penuche-fudge

Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips, fun things and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 27,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below. It is the green square below with a printer inside the square right beside the twitter, Pinterest and Facebook icons.

1. Barbara Judy says:

I love this Fudge, I’m from West Virginia, we always had this & chocolate fudge for Christmas, lost my recipes, so thank you for posting these. Barbara

2. Beth Herod White says:

Could you give an easy recipe for good ole’ New Orleans Pralines? If there is one with a lighter sugar, add it too. I am a controlled diabetic, but I have to have sweets once in a while Thanks

3. mine was runny once from not adding vannillal last.

4. Hi is this the same as Pralines ??

5. MY MOTHER REST HER SOUL MADE THESE WHEN I GREW UP IN AN IRON SKILLET. SHE STIR TILL IT WAS READY AND THEN BEAT AND POUR OUT INTO A PAN .LET IT COOL AND WE HAVE HOME MADE CANDY. THAT WAS THE ONLY KIND SHE EVER MADE. GRANNY NELDA FROM TEXAS

• G-Nelda, That is the way were leaned how to make my first fudge was with the cast iron pan–boy that was heavy and you also got muscles from the beating but what a great tasting fudge it was.

6. Going to try this one. Does it matter if Brown Sugar is Light or Dark??

7. please help…I made this recipe this morning ad it won’t get firm. Used a candy therm. so I know it was cooked long enough and beat it till my arm was hurting,but it is gooy. Can I do anything to salvage it?

Sometimes, even the best fudge makers will have fudge that does not get firm, Carolyn. Sorry, it could have been the weather if it is rainy or humid, your thermometer could even be off.

• I have also had this to happen. I have put it back in the cooking kettle and cooked it a few additional minutes. (Remember, you always need to do what we call water logged meaning that when you drop a few drops into a 1/2 cup of cold water it cools and becomes a soft flexible ball which means that when it is totally cool it will firm up especially if you are adding peanut butter, nuts or marsh mellows/or marsh mellow creme.. I have made this candy for over 60 years and it is one of the best and most simple and truly wonderful.

8. Marty Flanakin says:

Where have I been? I’m 78 years young and I’ve never heard of this and, by the way, how is it pronounced?

9. Making this

10. Is it similar to a praline?

11. My family has always made this candy, frosting, etc. It is the most favorite of all alone or with peanut butter, nuts, or chocolate chips (which makes, of course, chocolate fudge). Remember while cooking & stirring, always use a wooden spoon. That will keep the sugar from crystallizing on the sides of the pan. Yum! Yum!

12. This is a treat that Mom made every Christmas. Loved it then, and love it now!!!

13. Thank you for allowing us to copy this recipe. My mom will enjoy this fudge!

14. mona frank says:

This is my daughter’s favorite and much requested fudge…yours is slightly different than mine, but I will try it

15. Oh my
    sounds so good…

16. Redcandies says:

My Gram from Maine made this and we called it brown sugar fudge!! So good!!

• I grew up with Brown Sugar Candy, Brown sugar and canned milk is all except you can add peanut Butter, Nuts etc. My grandmother ( family from West Virginia) handed it down and I am 64, both her and my mother are gone now. i just always thought it was from the depression era, This stuff is so good and so highly addictive, my mom also made a brown sugar frosting, my brothers favorite, he wanted sliced bananas on top. Anyway I never run into anyone who even has a clue about this candy so I thought I would just say hi.

17. I am going to try this; my husband LOVES fudge, but I haven’t ever made him any! 🙂

18. Gonna have to use this recipe at Christmas for some gifts! Looks really good!!

19. My mom had an elderly aunt who gave us a box of penuche each and every Christmas. We loved it! I’m so glad you posted this recipe ’cause my sons have never had the pleasure of eating penuche – and now they will !

20. Bill Cloud says:

still enjoying all your resipes

21. this is like the fudge I grew up on. I have to give it a try. I do remember that it did not have the corn syrup. Just looking at the picture makes me want to eat it ALL!.