Cabbage Roll Casserole - TSLCThis Cabbage Roll Casserole is one of my favorite cabbage recipes. My family loves this dish with cornbread.  This is real comfort food and a recipe that most men like. If you like cabbage, you will make this dish over and over again. It keeps well in the refrigerator and can be reheated in the oven or microwave.

1 pound ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/2 medium sized head of cabbage, coarsely chopped

1 cup rice, uncooked (I use long grain, could use minute rice, too)

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth

1/4 teaspoon ground thyme

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons vinegar, white or apple cider

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

3 tablespoons white granulated sugar

2 cups shredded cheese (I use Italian style, can use whatever you like)

Brown hamburger, onion and minced garlic in a skillet on top of the stove, drain.  Whisk together in a bowl until well mixed tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, beef broth, thyme, black pepper, salt, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and sugar.  Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and add half the chopped cabbage, half the ground beef and onions, half the rice and half the liquid tomato mixture for the first layer. Make a second layer and pour on the remaining liquid mixture.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours or 90 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese over top.  Put back into oven for about 20 minutes to melt the cheese.  Makes about 8 to 10 servings. Enjoy!

Note: Make sure you mash the rice down on the top layer so that it is wet and not dry. You can cover the last hour if you think the rice is not cooking or getting soft. I make this most of the time with long grain rice and it is always done in my oven at about 90 minutes.   I have not tried freezing this casserole.

If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Crock Pot Cabbage and Ham.

Don’t Forget to Pin! Cabbage Roll Casserole

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.

Attention Fans

© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder

1. Linda smyers says:

This freezes very well. I sometimes do this exactly the same but put in my crockpot on low 6-8hrs, on high 4-5 cabbage gets cooked either way & never mushy. We live it.

2. Marilyn L. Flaherty says:

Marilyn L. Flaherty. So happy to try your “Cabbage Casserole” ! My daughter, Stephanie, one of your admirers, surprised me with this and it is absolutely Fabulous! We are accustomed to authentic Hungarian Cabbage Rolls, but this recipe is so much quicker, although we had to add good pork sausage (half and half as we do in all of our Louisiana cooking with veal as the third component). This time she only did the pork sausage for the extra richness and it was perfect! I could eat that for breakfast! In fact, one could serve that for Brunch with Poached Eggs! I thank you for being a terrific resource and appreciate your thoughtfulness. God Bless You and Yours and Take Care, Marilyn

Thank you so much Marilyn. So happy you all are enjoying this recipe and thank you for letting me know. Happy to have you and your daughter on the site.

3. Good with sausage in place of hamburger.

4. Brenda Tate says:

I love this recipe, the only thing I changed I used yellow rice half the beef broth and half beer.

5. Sounds so good! Perfect dish I think for Sunday after Thanksgiving.

6. Marilyn Kincaid says:

My sister in law gave me a recipe similar to this a few years ago. It is delicious and you can freeze it if you use fresh meat.

7. Delicious and yes I WOULD make it again!

8. I cook the cabbage/rice and ground beef and throw it in a crock pot with diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and mushrooms some times and cook it on low.

9. Beverly. Igo says:

Has anyone tried this recipee any comments if it was delicious are if they would make it again.

10. Have you ever tried it with brown rice??

11. Do you cook the rice before adding to the baking dish?

No, I don’t.

• Cathy do not cook rice before adding to the dish but I find that the Minute Rice cooks better than the regular. This is a good recipe. My family likes this with cornbread and the KY corn casserole.

I have made this with long grain and minute rice. I had no problem with either and we like the long grain better. Just a matter of which one you like I think.