Hearty Chicken Pot Pie “There is nothing better on a cold wintry day than a properly made pot pie.” ~~Craig Claiborne

This great chicken pot pie is loaded with vegetables and has a tender, flaky crust.  This dish is a meal by itself and your family will love it.  Comfort food at its best!

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
1 cup original bisquick
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 egg
Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.  Melt butter in skillet on top of stove and add onions, celery,  chicken pieces, pepper, garlic, and salt.  Saute until onions and celery is tender and chicken is cooked.  While chicken is cooking place carrots and potatoes in 2 quart casserole dish and cook in microwave for 8 to 10 minutes on high until tender.  Remove casserole from microwave and add cooked chicken, onions, and celery to carrots and potatoes.Pour in mixed vegetables.   In a bowl combine the chicken soup and chicken broth and thyme and whisk together.  Pour over casserole and mix with a spoon.  In a separate bowl mix the Bisquick, evaporated milk, and egg. Whisk well. Pour over vegetables and spread evenly over the top.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 – 40 minutes until golden brown on top.  Makes 6 to 8 servings.  Enjoy!  Note: You can make this with ham, hamburger, and beef, too.
See steps for making pie below:
Hearty Chicken Pot Pie
 Don’t Forget to Pin!  chicken-pot-pie
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Scalloped Corn Casserole.
Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips, fun things and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 26,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below. It is the green square below with a printer inside the square right beside the twitter, Pinterest and Facebook icons.

1. I love everything you post on F.B. Recipes are great also.

2. Glenn Manning says:

I am cooking for one and I am thinking about making the sauce and freezing it in 6″ pie amounts (about 1 cup). Then I could also make the crust in a large batch and freeze ping pong size. Then I could simply thaw and bake. Do you think this would work? Thanks!

Yes, I think you could do that Glenn.

• Pat VanBoskerck says:

Glenn, I make this Chicken Pot Pie and pour into separate individual dishes. Add topping and then bake all. Freeze 4 or 5 and we eat 2 There’s only 2 of us. Then I have a couple of meals for when I’m in a hurry.
        Freezes well.

3. Leslie Dabrowski says:

I am going to try this recipe tonight, can I use something else instead of celery? Love your website, thank you for sharing!

4. Can I use a box of stove mix instead of the biscuit topping

5. Looks good

6. No canned veggies, a bag of frozen and slice some fresh mushrooms! Yum!

7. Do u have to use Bisquick? Can any biscuit mix work?

8. Hello and thank you for all the yummy recipes , my question is first do we put nothing in the carrots and potatoes to cook with in microwave?and second can I use 1/2 and 1/2 instead of evaporated milk?

9. If we’re using fresh veggies why do we need canned/frozen veggies?

10. What is the topping plz in uk terms would lv go cook it:-P

11. Made this tonight and it was a hit with my family. DELICIOUS!!! Thank you!!!

12. Wanda F. Grubbs Alexander says:

I always put bisquick topping on top of mine and it is so good .I love making chicken pot pie it is so yummy thanks for reposting…..

13. Could I use a pie crust for bottom and top … for this recipe, would that be good ?

14. Thanks for re posting this today on Facebook, I made it for hubby and I with a few changes only because I didn’t have some ingredients….it was very Good!….I used frozen chicken, thawed cooked….didn’t have celery or thyme, so I did potatoes, onion and garlic in microwave till tender…steamed a bag of frozen mixed veggies ( baby corn,broccoli, sugar snap peas and carrots). ….I mixed a can of Progesso chicken pot pie soup with a can of cream of chicken with herbs soup…..then the topping…..loved it and will be making it again…
    Thanks again

15. Jim Voorhies says:

Looks great and tasty, my only change would be to add a jar of Button mushrooms drained and rinsed, and frozen stir fry vegetables instead of canned. Can’t stand canned multi-vegetable mixes, and maybe a couple slices sharp cheddar broken into bits.

16. jeri shuck says:

Looks yummy. Would be really good on a gloomy day like today.

17. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

18. Love your baked pot pie recipe, just like my grandma used to make, do you have a recipe for making slippery pot pie, my mom always made it, can’t remember the dough recipe she used. Thanks for all the great home cooked recipes.

19. Just made this tonight for tomorrow night. Halloween’s a busy night here. Also made enough so I could freeze one. We love this.

20. WENDY SWANSON says:

This LQQKS GREAT . but I TOTALLY HATE Canned Vegetables – so I’de choose to use Frozen ones instead. I’ll try this and let them Un – Thaw first ! 🙂

21. Kate Crenshaw says:

This looks so delicious and I would love to make it for my family. But my son is allergic to milk so I can’t use all the cream soups I’m accustomed to using in casseroles (mushroom, chicken, and celery are my faves). My son can have soy milk products and eggs — everything really except dairy. Any advice on what I could substitute for the cream of chicken soup?

• I don’t know Kate. Maybe, you could just use the soy milk and thicken it with a little cornstarch. I am just not that familiar with soy products. So sorry.

• Kate Crenshaw says:

Your pot pie was dinner tonight and turned out to be very yummy! I made it was leftover roasted turkey instead of chicken and used a can of Campbell’s Turkey Gravy (surprisingly, dairy free!) instead of cream of chicken soup. Mixed the gravy with chicken broth as in the recipe. The only other change was to use plain soy milk instead of evaporated milk to mix with the Bisquick. Looked and tasted delicious! Thank you!

• joyce blevins says:

You could thicken chicken broth with some cornstarch and try using that as a substitute for the cream soup.

• I have soy products for the last 25 yrs. due to a medical condition. The soy milk will not change the recipe in any way.

22. I need to make this ASAP!! Thanks for re-posting this, I’m not sure how I missed this the first time around!!