These rolls will melt in your mouth.   I have made them for years and they are wonderful.  My family looks forward to these rolls during the holidays. I think this recipe was on a box of grits years and years ago.

1 cup instant grits or quick grits,  uncooked
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
3 cups hot water ( I just use hot water from the tap.)
1/3 cup vegetable oil  (I use canola oil)
6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 pkgs dry yeast (two 1/4 ounce packages or 4 1/2 teaspoons)
Combine instant grits, sugar, and salt in large bowl.  Add water, oil and 2 cups of the flour.  Beat 2 minutes on low speed with mixer.  Add 1 cup additional flour and yeast.  Beat 1 minute on low speed.  Stir in additional flour to make soft dough.  Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.  Add additional flour if needed.
Spray two round cake pans and divide dough in half.  Shape each half into 18 balls and place in pans. Cover and let rise 1 to 2 hours until doubled in size.  Bake in preheated 400 degree oven 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.  Brush with butter.  Makes about 36 rolls.  Serve warm.
Note:  I have also made the dough balls larger and placed in a 9 x 13 inch greased cake pan.   They will be more like sandwich rolls if made this way.   See photos below of rolls before they are cooked.
Rolls before rising.
 Rolls after rising for 2 hours.
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Fabulous Yeast Rolls.
Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips, fun things and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 23,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. I know this may sound dumb, but do you put the yeast in dry, are after it has dissolved?

2. I was just making sure the TBSP of salt was correct? Just seemed like a lot. I can’t wait to try these!! I love yeast rolls and the idea of grits intrigue me!! Thank you!! 🙂

3. Vickie jirash says:

Will a regular hand mixer do or do you have to have the paddles?

4. For those who do not have grits, I use almost the same recipe but with mashed red potatoes and less water. I make them every Thanksgiving and they are delicious. I cannot wait to try these with grits!

5. Joycelyn Trigg says:

I used to make these 35 years ago (!) using the recipe on the instant grits bag. I guess I thought they’d have it forever and never wrote it down, but then it wasn’t there. I grieved! I cannot wait to make these again. By the way, I substituted half whole wheat flour, and the flavor was incredible. Thanks for giving this pre-family tradition back to me for me to share with the family now!

6. can i make the rolls and cook two da\ys la\ter

I always made these the same day I cook them and have never tried making them ahead except making them, cooking them and freezing to reheat later. I put them in foil and reheat in the oven and they did well that way.

7. Just a little humorous note. My nephew (by marriage) was from the south and, when asked what grits were he replied “corn after the “good stuff” was removed! I am a ‘way up north easterner, but I like grits. However, I make my southern friends cringe when I put them in a bowl with milk/cream and sugar – like hot cereal. O,well, I react the same way when they put fried chicken on waffles. I guess, to each his own. lol

8. how close is farina to grits?

9. Could i cut this in half for only one pan?

10. Debi Alsobrook says:

If you are making a large amount of rolls for a get-together & want to keep them warm during transport, here’s a tip: Take an ice chest/cooler, line with towels … place the rolls in the cooler straight from the oven, cover with a towel & close the lid. The towels absorb any moisture from the steam & keeps the rolls from drying out. I am almost 60, as a child I remember my Mom’s friend doing this. I have done this & I know it works.

11. Would this recipe work in a bread making machine?

12. I think you could just use white cornmeal.

13. Is it necessary to put the sugar in? I really don’t like my bread sweet and that sounds like an awful lot of sugar. Otherwise, it sounds delish.

14. Still looking for a response to my earlier question re: using “regular” (non-instant non-quick) grits in this recipe. Any thoughts?

15. For anyone who has asked–you can find grits and instant grits on the cereal aisle in most grocery stores. Hope this helps!

16. Hi. How much is 2pkgs of yeast in terms of measurement? I only have yeast in a bottle. Can I use fast acting yeast? Thanks.

17. I made these this morning. I live in south GA, very humid today. I had to use 7 cups of flour just to get it out of the bowl. Which meant I should have added a tsp or so of salt. I cooked one pan before taking to family for fathers day and they are wonderful, fluffy and in need of a little salt. To compensate in the other pans, I will sprinkle with Kosher salt before cooking and brush with salted butter. I used quick grits which gave them an occasional crunch. Thanks for a quick, easy wonderful yeast roll recipe.

18. Robynne Foyle says:

Im from Down Under,
    Could you please tell me what grits are?… I would love to try the recipe, but in Australia we do not have anything called grits. What could I use instead?
    Thanks, look forward to trying this recipe…..

19. iplayoutsidethebox says:

I’ve made different breads my entire life….but I’ve never thought to toss some grits in too. Can’t wait to try this. TFS

20. This is amazing! Two of the best things on earth: yeast rolls and grits. I am a true Southener and I fear I should be ashamed for not having tried these. I am going to surprise my husband and mom on Thanksgiving with these. Question, do you feel the grit texture when eating these? Oh I do love grits. Now I am hungry for grits!

21. wondering if they even sell grits here in Ontario, Canada. These look so yummy. Will be fun to try for Christmas.

22. Just a small question, but is there an alternative to grits for this??? I am in Wisconsin and if ya ask for grits, you get this funny look like ya are from another planet… Unless they have been to the south, it isn’t heard of here…

23. When do you add the yeast?? I don’t see that part?? I would love to make these rolls.Thanks!! 🙂

24. They look mouthwatering. Can I use quick grits vs instant grits?

25. Jamey Hirsch says:

My northern friends will be shocked to hear they just ate grits! HA!

26. Any thoughts/experience at all on using “regular” (non-instant/quick) grits? Pre-soaking? Different rise/bake time? Forget about it?

• Janet Stratman says:

I used the quick grits the first time I made these rolls–came out a little gritty (pardon the pun!) on the tops, but tasted great. Made them with instant grits the second time–turned out perfectly. I’ve also prepared the dough and frozen them prior to rising. Then I took them out of the freezer the night before, let them rise overnight, and baked — same great taste! If you plan to have leftovers, better bake an extra batch!

27. I make yeast buttermilk biscuits all the time and I also make a pretty mean grits pie. This sounds like the best of both worlds and they like absolutely delicious! I’m definitely gonna give this recipe a shot. Thanks, sweetie.

28. Barbarainnc says:

I think there is a difference between quick-cooking grits and instant grits. Quick cooking cooks in about 5 minutes, and instant you just pour in some boiling water in the grits, no cooking. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Thanks for the recipe, I’ll use instant, like the recipe states. 🙂 🙂

29. Pingback: Pan Yeast Rolls « Jill's Place

30. Just found out from my MIL who used to make yeast rolls, but no longer does due to health reasons, that if you want to make ahead and freeze, you freeze them before the 2nd rise, so it’s after you make the balls, she puts them in the pan, covers and freezes. My thoughts are to make them Sunday then take them out TG morning, let thaw, then rise and bake. Will let you know if it works out.

• Thanks so much Lori. Please let me know how this works for you as I get asked often. Have a great weekend.

• I experimented with freezing the grits rolls before letting them rise — turned out great! I just took them out of the freezer, covered with a towel, and let them rise overnight. Baked them the next morning. I’ve made these twice now — they are so easy to make! I used the quick grits, and the particles in the dough that was exposed to baking were noticeable. The interior particles were not. Kinda adds a good little crunch to the tops.

Thanks so much Janet. That is good to know. I made them, too, and they were gone in a flash! Happy to know they will freeze well.

31. Gorgeous and Katherine’s been wanting these.

32. Wow! These yeast rolls look amazing! And my husband loves grits! Will try these for Thanksgiving!

33. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says:

Love this recipe for Pan Yeast Rolls. A great compliment to the Thanksgiving dinner table. Eager to try these!

34. penny hughes says:

where do I buy instant grits?

35. If I was to make ahead at what point in the process would I freeze these rolls,

36. YES! Nothin’ says lovin’ like homemade rolls from the oven. =) Wish I could have a couple of warm ones this morning…MMMM!

37. Frances Quinn says:

I have just read your blog for the first time. I love it. I am looking forward to making a lot of the recipes.

BTW, I was born in Baltimore, MD, does this make me a Southern Woman?

38. Now I’ve heard everything…grits in rolls!!!

• I have been looking for this recipe for over 18 years these are the best rolls you will ever eat. Thank you so much. Anyone have any ideas how to make ahead and freeze?