Crock Pot Barbecued Chicken Breasts - TSLC

This crock pot barbecued chicken will make your mouth water!  The sauce is wonderful and gives the chicken a great spicy flavor.  You can make this using any parts of the chicken or the entire bird.  Just double or triple the recipe for the sauce.

2 – 4  boneless skinless chicken breasts
2/3 cup tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoons celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.  Place chicken in slow cooker and cover with sauce.  Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or high 4 – 5 hours.   Enjoy!
 Note:  This sauce could be used on pork as well as chicken.  It gives both meats a great flavor.
If you the above crock pot recipe, you might also like this recipe for Lima Beans with Ham over Rice.
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or E-mail buttons at the bottom of each post. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below.

Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 23,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

1. Your poem was wonderful. Made me cry, love this site.

2. KAREN BECKER says:

Fantastic recipe – wouldn’t change a thing! I will definitely be making this delicious chicken again soon.

Thank you so much Karen. Happy you are enjoying this recipe and thank you for letting me know.

3. What is Liquid Smoke????

Liquid smoke is a concentrated food seasoning made from compressed natural smoke and water. People add it to meats and vegetables to make them taste like they’ve been barbecued or cooked in a smoker. You can usually find it in the grocery store near the Worcestershire sauce or steak sauce. It comes in a small bottle like steak sauce. Hope this helps, Stephanie.

4. Sounds good!!

5. What is liquid Smoke??

It is kind of like a flavoring that gives the recipe a smoky flavor. It is usually found close to the Worcestershire sauce and sauces in the grocery store. You don’t have to add it.

6. i will be trying this with pork for tomorrows dinner ; tu ; the chicken iam sure is great too

7. lorraine Xuereb says:

like to try it but I don’t have crockpot can I cook it in any dish?thank you ,

8. Kay, Heinz sells a sugarless ketchup so try that. Not always in every store but maybe you will be lucky.

9. Would u double this recipie to make for a bigger crowd? Making it right now for my family! Can’t wait to try it!!!! Yummmmm!!!!

10. How much sauce does the recipe make? Other than the ketchup & the spices, I don’t normally have those ingredients on hand, but I do have bottled bbq sauce. How much should I use?

11. Do you recommend browning the chicken before adding to the crockpot to prevent the coagulation residue from the chicken?

12. I’m trying it now. Made it in a small casserole dish (1 chicken breast) and set it up on a metal cookie cutter. I’ll let ya know!

• Cooked perfectly. Was ready when I got home from work:) Hubs made a little potato salad to go with it and we enjoyed it and slept well all night! I might add a little more brown sugar next time…

13. Just curious was your chick frozen or thawed? Would be great to have this for dinner when we get home from work. Thanks for everything.

14. Deb Henderson says:

Judy, I will sure be trying this with the reduced sugar ketchup and I’ll tey the Spends Brown Sugar. It sounds really good!!

15. In the crockpot as we speak. Can’t wait! (anticipation)

16. Oh my goodness!! Made this last night…and all I can say is YUM!! My family is not big on chicken like I am, but, they loved this! Will be making it again Sunday! Thanks for all the recipes!! I am really enjoying them!! Have a good day!!!

17. Please what is Liquid smoke…Im from England and never heard of it thanks Anne

• It is a flavoring that gives the recipe a smokey flavor. It comes in a bottle like vanilla extract and such. If you leave it out it just takes away the smokey taste. Some people don’t like it and you can leave it out.

• I think I might know what to use in its place, thanks for your help. I will be making it soon.

• Ann what will you be using instead of liquid smoke , I am from England as well but cant think what to use and this recipe sounds GREAT cant wait to try it , love your recipes Southern Lady

18. Judy, We are diabetic and trying to get a great bbq sauce w/o too much sugar. Know I can use diet sugar but…for the ketchup…tomato juice? Could actually do up tomatoes in food processor but I have no idea how much to use. Any suggestions? Would be most grateful for your help.

• I make my own ketchup because hubby is on a salt free, sugar free diet. I just sub splenda for the sugar. My kids like this better than store bought. 6 oz. can tomato paste; 8 oz can tomato sauce; 1/4 C plus 3 Tb. vinegar; 3 Tb. splenda; 1/4 ts onion powder; 1 ts. salt (I leave this out); 1/16 ts. each: allspice, ground cloves, cinnamon, garlic powder. Mix all ingredients in a pan and simmer for about 10 minutes. Makes 1 3/4 cups. I promise you, this is really good ketchup and it is also carb free. I usually make a double batch at a time.