SOUTHERN HIGH RISE BISCUITS
These Southern High Rise Biscuits are so easy to make and will quickly become a family favorite. If you have followed our website for any amount of time then you know we love biscuits. We have over 40 biscuit recipes on our website and we even dedicated an entire digital cookbook to nothing but biscuits!
Southern High Rise Biscuits Simple Ingredients:
All Purpose Flour
White Granulated Sugar
Cream of Tartar
Lard or Shortening
As you can see these biscuits have an egg in them, which isn’t overly common and they also use a larger amount of baking powder, both of these ingredients create the rise. These biscuits have a crisp top and a very soft middle and we love them with butter and jelly. They would be wonderful with gravy too since they are so thick!
Our Cathead Biscuits is one of our most popular recipes but these high rise biscuits are delicious too! This recipe has so many great comments, if you want to be taken back in time go read them. So many of our wonderful followers have commented on how they have enjoyed those biscuits for many years.
Printable recipe in recipe card below.
Are you reading our digital magazine, Front Porch Life? It’s full of great new recipes, country living, fantastic people, southern charm, cooking tips and so much more. We send it directly to your email so you can start reading, cooking and relaxing immediately! This is our premium content not found on our website. Join 1000’s of others today and start enjoying our magazine!
Southern High Rise Biscuits
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup lard or shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk I use 2%
- 1 egg
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, cream of tartar and baking powder. Cut in lard or shortening until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Whisk together the egg and milk in a separate bowl and then add to dry ingredients. Mix with spoon until comes together into a ball and turn out onto floured surface.
- Knead 8 to 10 times, roll out to about 1 inch thick and cut out biscuits.
- Place on baking sheet or can cook in iron skillet.
- Cook in preheated 450 degree oven 15 minutes or until brown on top.
- Can brush with melted butter. Makes 8 to 10 large biscuits.
Be sure and pin these delicious Southern High Rise Biscuits:
Click here to follow us on Instagram.
© The Southern Lady Cooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder.