Okra fritters are good with any meal. Okra has always been a very popular vegetable in the South. I add it to my hoecakes and make these okra fritters as long as I can get okra in summer and winter months . If you like okra, you will love this easy, quick recipe for okra fritters. Try these on your family and friends. I bet you will be surprised how good they are. An old fashioned Southern recipe you will make time and again. Okra fritters have been a staple bread in our house for many years. My family never gets tired of this recipe and it goes with everything. Most people who don’t like okra will like these okra fritters.
Okra Fritters Simple Ingredients:
Okra, cut in round pieces (Can use fresh or frozen)
All purpose flour
Salt & Pepper, (Optional)
These fritters are a great addition to any meal, pretty much any time of year. We love them in the summer, they go great with a delicious garden meal. We also love them in the winter as they go wonderful with soup too.
Someone said in the comments their family doesn’t like buttermilk.. you can’t taste buttermilk in the fritters. Actually cooking/baking with buttermilk is adding a certain fat level to make the recipe even better. I have never had someone “taste” buttermilk in a recipe.
“Because of you and this wonderful recipe, I am back on the “A” list with my husband. We have recently moved to southeastern Arizona. I have found that many of the local growers are raising okra. I was wondering how I might use it other than in soups and stews when I noticed on your news feed someone commenting on this recipe. Needless to say I hot footed it over here and have made this three times in the last 10 days, one of the batches being a double. My husbands’ response to all this, when his mouth has emptied enough from all the fritters he is busy stuffing it with is, “Southern Ladies really know what they are doing!”- Lisa
- 2 cups okra cut in round pieces (Can use fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- Salt & Pepper (Optional)
- 1 cup oil
- In a large mixing bowl with a spoon mix together all ingredients except okra and oil. Fold in the okra. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Drop by spoonfuls into the hot oil. (I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for each fritter). Fry on one side about 2 minutes or until good and crusty, turn and fry the other side. Drain on paper towels. Slather with butter and enjoy