MANDARIN ORANGE CAKE

Mandarin Orange Cake - TSLC

This Classic Mandarin Orange Cake is delicious and makes a wonderful dessert for any holiday meal.  This cake is also called “Pig Pickin’ Cake or Pig Lickin’ Cake” in the South. An easy  summertime dessert to serve family and guests.

Cake

1 (16.5 ounce) Duncan Hines Classic Butter Golden Cake Mix

3/4 cup cooking oil (I use Canola oil)

4 eggs

1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, undrained (Save several of the orange sections to decorate the top of your cake)

Frosting

1 (3.4 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding

2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, undrained

1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed

In a large mixing bowl mix all the cake ingredients until well blended.  Spray 3 (9 inch) round cake pans with cooking spray. Fill each cake pan with about 2 cups of cake mix.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes checking for doneness as ovens vary.  Your layers will be thin. Remove from oven and let cool.

Combine all the frosting ingredients and mix together with a spoon.  I don’t use a mixer for the frosting.  Frost cake adding frosting between the layers.

Note:  The original recipe for this cake called for an 11 ounce can of mandarin oranges for the cake. I used a 15 ounce can so I would have extra oranges to decorate the cake with and it worked great. I used all the juice from the 15 ounce can, too. It did not seem to make a difference. You could also bake this cake in 2 layers. You will just have thicker layers. My layers were only about an inch thick. You will not have big layers.

Mandarin Orange Cake TSLC

Blueberry Cream Cheese Butter Cake

Fruit Cocktail Cake

Nutty Pineapple Pistachio Cake

Love this recipe? You can find it in our “Sweet Things” Cookbook! Click Picture to order:

CoverFirstCookbookHeritage

Take a moment and check out our other Facebook pages and give them a “like”.  Thank You!

Everything Kentucky

The Southern Twins

FacebookTwitterPinterestPrintFriendly

1. Mary calhoun says:

Temperature in a 9×13 pan?

2. how do I convert this from a layer cake to a bunt cake?

You would just put the batter in a bundt pan and probably increase the cooking time 10 or 15 minutes and check center to see when it is done. I have never done it in a bundt pan but see no reason why you can’t.

3. Your recipes look sooo delicious, I am anxious to try some of them ! !

4. brandie Foxworthy says:

Sounds yummy never had it gonna try it but do you use the juice instead of the oil when mixing the cake mix together or how do you use it

5. I had this cake years ago, and it was a my favorite, but I wasn’t sure how to make it. I’m so very excited to try this recipe!!! Thanks so much for sharing

6. Sharen Young says:

Have made this cake for years. One of our local cake shops charge a fortune for these so when I found the recipe I have shared with so many friends. We always have this in the warm weather we our group gets together. Husbands favorite.

7. Bea Yurkerwich says:

Your recipes are awesome! A favorite site I go to most often…Many Thanks. Bea

8. Elizabeth Harding says:

I make this cake also. If you use a mixer it breaks up the oranges and is delicious. I’ve also made it in a 9×13 pan and it works well.

9. Do you crush the mandarin orange sections for the cake batter? Or are they just whole?

I don’t crush mine, Heidi, but you could cut them into pieces if you like. I don’t think I would crush them though.

10. Malinda Bischoff says:

The reason the layers are not very thick, I believe, is because the size of the box of cake mix has shrunk over the years. We have been making this cake for over 50 years and the layers were thicker. We also call this cake “Mama’s Cake” and it was served at my baby shower for my daughter. It is her favorite to this day! Love it!

11. Hoping to experiment with the recipe, as British shops don’t sell the same cake mixes. With a bit of trial and error I might come up a tasty cake?

12. James Tucker says:

Can u use mandarins oranges for frosting also instead of pineapples. ….tucker

13. This is a family favorite passed onto to many generations. My grandmother called the recipe pig linkin cake! Not sure where she got the name from. This is a very yummy cake!

14. Do you prepare the vanilla pudding or just add to the cool whip?? Want to make this for my birthday!!!

You don’t prepare it, Marilyn. Just add to the cool whip. I hope you have a great birthday.

15. I made this cake today with the Orange Supreme cake mix–it is soooo good!! Use to make an orange cake with the candy orange slices–but this is easier for there is not cutting up or stickiness from handling the candy!!

16. This thing is simple yet sinfully good! Licking my fork as I type! So moist!

17. Hello again, this was a great cake and my family have found a new cake they want me to bake. It was easy and delicious. I made a fabulous meal with Mango Pork Chops and then for dessert the Mandarin Orange Cake. It was GREAT!!!! Now on to another recipe….

18. This cake sounds like spring and summer rolled into a cake! I’ve never heard of it, but will be trying it soon! Thank you for sharing and it’s pinned :)

19. I am a diabetic and my husband is pre-diabetic. I bought some Slenda half and half. Is that okay to use in this cake?

20. I always use a 9 x 13 pan for this wonderful cake! We used to have pig pickings in our younger years and it was always a hit. I made it as a layer cake – once – and it seemed that we literally had to lick it off the plate, it was so moist. Always a favorite for any occasion when a cake is needed. Health nuts never turn up their nose simply because of all the fruit in the recipe so it is a win-win for everyone. I will say that I sent it to my husband’s office and they would not touch it until he explained that ‘pig picking’ was only the name of the cake. They aren’t from the south and believed I had added bacon to the cake…unreal! But once they tried it, the cake lasted less than an hour.

21. I have been making this cake for over thirty years in a sheet cake pan, but I like the looks of this layer cake.
    This has always been my favorite cake.

22. Going to try the cake for Easter. I tried your baked chicken recipe tonight. You have opened a whole new world of cooking for me. Thanks.

23. The Southern Lady says:

Yes, you could do that.

24. Judi Richards says:

This looks perfect for my Easter gathering. I can always count on you for the right treat to wow!

25. I pinned this to make for Easter. Thanks for the recipe.

26. This is one of my favorites….and I can pig out on it too….no pun intended! Sheila