GUMBO:  It is a dinner in itself, being soup, piece de résistance, entremet and vegetable in one. Healthy, and not heating to the stomach and easy of digestion, it should grace every table.”  ~~William H. Coleman, ‘Historical Sketch Book and Guide to New Orleans and Environs’ (1985)

1 (1 lb.) package smoked sausage (beef or turkey) sliced in small pieces.
1 (1 lb.) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 (1 lb.) package frozen chopped okra
1 ( 1 lb.) can chicken broth
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup minute rice (white or brown)
1 teaspoon pepper (regular or cayenne)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
2 bay leaves
Brown sausage, onion, and green pepper in olive oil and add to slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for four hours or low for six hours. This is a hearty and filling soup. Makes about 3 quarts. Great served with hot bread.  Enjoy!
Click the link The Southern Lady Cooks to return Facebook or to join us on there!
Don’t Forget to Pin!  crock-pot-smoked-sausage-gumbo
Don’t forget to check out these crockpot recipes, too:
Feel free to “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter buttons below.  You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. Can you leave the cumin out without destroying the flavor?

2. I have a question. Instead if sausage, could I toss some cooked gator, crawdad meat and prawns in this?

3. It’s in the slow cooker as I write this. I hope my family n*joys it. It sure looks good. In our economy now this recipe really hit the spot for me cause of the price of the meat used. My husband is Hawaiian and I’m sure he’ll put it over more rice… sticky rice. 🙂

4. I have made this before in the crock pot, it was a suggestion from my mom when I told her I was craving some okra and sausage gumbo but wanted it done before bedtime. I added chicken (cut into pieces), and this was a time saver. I haven’t tried a seafood gumbo in the crock pot yet. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes. I am pinning this link to my dinner recipes board.

5. Hi Judy , Thanks for the fabulous cooking page i enjoy looking it up daily Love the change of style from those in Australia .Keep up the good work.cheers

6. Didn’t have rice so diced up some potatoes and used black beans instead of okra..will see how turns out and double all since we have a large family..crock pot almost over filled lol.

7. southern lady knows real cooking says:

I can promise you, this is NO gumbo that anyone here in South Louisiana would eat. A “real’ gumbo is NOT made in a crock pot, and certainly doesn’t look like this. Gumbo is slow cooked for a very long time on a ‘STOVE” ….

We all have different ways of doing things and there are all kinds of recipes out there for gumbo. Today, there are 100s of knockoff recipes from the real thing that takes hours to prepare and women don’t spend the time cooking they did years and years ago. Being a Southern lady is a lot more than cooking a recipe for gumbo. I was taught if I could not say something nice not to say anything at all, to not be critical of others or be judgemental in life. Southern manners are a big part of Southern living. Since you don’t give your name but say you are a Southern lady it makes me wonder if that is true at all. I am so sorry my recipe does not meet with your approval and I am sure there are many other recipe sites you might like better than mine. Hoping your week will be a good one.

Thank you Mary!

• Kathie Lynn says:

I rather like it this way, you don’t have to spend hours at the stove!! Some people want their 15 minutes of fame, even if it means being snarky… Love your recipes!!

Thank you for such a KIND comment Kathie Lynn! Enjoy your day!

• Not sure what part of Louisiana you are from, but my family hails from New Orleans, New Iberia area, Opelousas, and Baton Rouge. We call this okra and sausage gumbo. It’s the ingredients not the method of cooking it. Traditional gumbo takes hours if you make your own roux, this was the way my Grands would make it. I make it using instant roux and cooking all of my meats separately. As the author of this recipe so eloquently pointed out, there are 100s of recipes out there for gumbo. This is one that helps the busy cook get dinner together and still have a productive day. Speak for only yourself, there are some of us from Southern Louisiana and with family from there who will and do eat crock pot gumbo.

8. First time making gumbo, thank you so much! Very easy, & the family loved it! Will try with seafood next time. 😀

9. Anytime I use rice in a crockpot it gets gummy, do I add it at the end!

10. Any substitute for okra? My family just doesn’t like it.

11. Amazing!! I added some rotisserie chicken breast with the sausage. Compliments from the whole family.

12. Anyone tried adding some seafood? At what point would it be added as seafood cooks rather quickly?

13. I recently saw this posted on Pinterest & after reading the recipe I had to try it! It looked so good. I followed your recipe, but I basically doubled everything (for a little extra) & spiced it up a bit, since we like spicy! I used Hillshire Farms Spicy Smoked Sausage (its got a little jalapeno) and tossed in a small can of Rotel Diced Tomatoes w/Green Chilis. Fixed some crusty sourdough bread & THIS WAS GREAT! Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

14. Patty Kasiewicz says:

I have made this and it totally a winner.
    But of course my husband loves all your recipes. LOL

15. Reblogged this on Mammas United and commented:
    How yummy does this look?!?

16. Looks wonderful. I’ll be right over to get a bowl. 🙂

17. Boy does that look great. Spicy too!

18. This looks so great! So great! Anne and I will have to make this. There is nothing like your cooking. Some of the best memories I have took place over meals you have cooked. I love you mom!Leigh