Homemade Glazed Donuts - TSLCThis recipe for homemade donuts is easy and the donuts are delicious.  They are wonderful with coffee in the morning and children love them.

1 (3/4 ounce) package yeast (I used Fleischmanns’s Active Dry yeast)
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk, scalded or brought just to a boil
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Approximately 3 cups all-purpose flour
Oil for cooking (I use Canola)
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and set aside.  Scald the milk on top of the stove, remove and add sugar, salt and butter.  Let milk mixture cool till warm and add yeast, egg and vanilla extract.  Mix with a spoon.  Start adding flour and mix with spoon until you have a dough you can handle.  Place dough into a greased bowl, turning once to coat both sides.  Let rise about 3 hours until doubled in size.  Punch down, roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut out donuts using a cutter or could use a biscuit cutter and then cut out holes. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and let rise again about 45 minutes.  Heat about an inch of oil just to boiling on top of the stove in a large skillet.  Drop 2 or 3 donuts into oil at a time.  Cook only a few seconds on each side.  Remove with spatula onto paper towels to drain.  This makes about 2 dozen donuts with 2 dozen holes or you can put the dough from the holes together and roll out for more donuts. Add glaze recipes below. Can use powdered sugar and sprinkles or whatever you like on top. Enjoy!
Chocolate Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix ingredients together with wire whisk.  Dip tops of donuts into glaze while donuts are still warm.
Regular Donut Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix ingredients together with a wire whisk. Dip tops of donuts into glaze while donuts are still warm.
Note:  These keep well in the refrigerator in a plastic container and can be reheated in the microwave.
Don’t Forget to Pin!  homemade-yeast-donuts
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Amazing Fried Apple Fritters or easy homemade donuts.
attention-new-subscribersFeel free to “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter buttons below.  You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. Well i just printed the recipe out and i’ll be making the donuts tomorrow woo hoo……..

2. My son has a milk allergy. I am wondering if I could use almond milk instead?

3. I have a silly question. When I add the ingredients to the scalded milk do I stir to combine before letting them sit to cool? Thanks…

4. denise gmama says:

i love it

5. I used to make donuts out of canned biscuits. A lot easier.

I have made them with biscuits, too, Teresa but don’t think they are nearly as good as yeast donuts.

• I also tried the biscuit recipe and they were very good when they were very, very fresh, but started to get stale almost as soon as they cooled off. At least that’s what we thought.

6. Joan Johnston says:

Can these be baked to make a little more healthy?

7. Hi fantastic recipe one question before letting dough rise for 3 hrs dont u knead it bcoz most recipes call for kneading dough at least 10 mins

I just keep adding the flour until I get it to the place where I can pick it up. I don’t knead but just enough to incorporate the flour. I am sure you could knead it if you want.

8. susan prince says:

Can this dough be done in a bread machine ?

9. Shirley treacle says:

Many years ago I had this recipe and lost it I used to make this at list a couple times a month thanks for this recipe Now I can make them again for my family thanks again

10. rosemary olson says:

can the dough be made the day ahead including all the rising periods and then kept in frig, brought out and fried ?

11. Wendy TwarDokus says:

These are wonderful! Easy to make and taste is great! Now to put it in my recipes to make again.

12. Sally Alldis says:

Can anyone tell me what all purpose flour is please x

13. Reblogged this on lovelyseasonscomeandgo and commented:
    I sware this is on my bucket list LOL! one day I am going to make homemade donuts, they look absolutely delicious!

14. Have never made donuts. Used to make homemade rolls and cinnamon rolls. Think my son took the recipes that I used for those.
    Your donuts sound good.

15. Thank you! Those Chocolate glazed ones look delicious !

16. [email protected] says:

Excellent! I will try to make these tomorrow!! 🙂

17. I have never attempted to make donuts. I believe you may have inspired me to give these a try 🙂 Thanks!

18. susan silver says:

amazing thank you so much for sharing this recipes.

19. Alicia Markham says:

You are so awesome, Girl! How did you know that I wanted some donuts for the past two days, then BAM this shows up in my email. LOVE YA, DARLIN!!!! Thanks!

20. Miriam Johnston says:

Thought you and your Mom would appreciate this.

Sent from my iPad

21. barbara blackburn says:

Looks yummy can’t wait to try.