Bacon Cheddar Skillet Cornbread
This skillet cornbread goes with just about any meal. Easy to make and wonderful with soup!
Servings: 8 servings
- 5 pieces bacon cooked and drained (save bacon drippings)
- 4 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Cook bacon, remove from pan and drain grease saving 4 tablespoons. Chop bacon and set aside. Stir together the cornmeal, flour, eggs and buttermilk. Fold in the cheese and chopped bacon. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Add the bacon drippings to your skillet and heat in oven for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet and pour in rest of ingredients. Spread evenly in skillet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until center tests done and top is browned. Makes 8 to 10 servings.