This cornbread is delicious with any meal. We love it with soup in the winter! Easy to make and never any left.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 11 ounce can white shoepeg corn, drained (can use yellow corn)
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained (can use 2 hot peppers of your choice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Mexican style cheese shredded
- 4 tablespoon oil I used two tablespoons of bacon grease and two of Canola oil
Mix together cornmeal, flour,baking soda, eggs, and buttermilk with a spoon in a large bowl. Fold in corn, green pepper, chile peppers, onion and cheese.
Spray your skillet with cooking spray, then add oil and grease and heat for a minute or two in oven. Add cornbread mixture. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until top is nice and brown and done in center. Cut into wedge-shaped pieces, slather with butter.