Baked Black-eyed Peas and Smoked Sausage
This recipe is great to enjoy with family and friends. Serve with a green vegetable and cornbread and you are set!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas (cooked according to package directions) or two 14 ounce cans, undrained. or you could use frozen peas.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon molasses or syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage sliced in rounds
Cook dried peas according to package directions leaving about 1/2 cup of the soup and draining the rest. Add the chopped onion, brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, molasses, salt, pepper and sausage. Stir all ingredients together in a 2 quart baking dish and bake covered in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 15 minutes. Makes 6 to 8 servings.