Amish Cabbage Patch Soup
This soup can be made in the crock pot or on the stove top. Easy to make and delicious. Serve with cornbread and you have a wonderful meal.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 to 3 stalks celery chopped (Optional)
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 head cabbage chopped
- 2 14.5 ounce cans beef broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper I use a teaspoon of pepper but we like pepper a lot
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Cook the ground beef in a skillet on top of the stove and drain. Add ground beef, onion, celery, green pepper, kidney beans and cabbage to the crock pot.
In a bowl whisk together the beef broth, tomatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Pour over the crock pot ingredients. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 4 hours.
This could be made in a stew pot on top of the stove, too. Makes 3 quart crock pot full or 8 to 10 servings. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream if desired.