Cajun Corn and Okra
This recipe for Cajun Corn and Okra makes a great side dish.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion or regular onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove of garlic chopped or minced
- 1 cup okra can use frozen or fresh and no need to thaw if frozen
- 2 cups corn can use frozen or fresh and no need to thaw if frozen
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne or few drops of hot sauce optional
Cook bacon until crispy in a skillet on top of the stove. Remove, drain and set aside
Keep 2 to 3 tablespoons of the bacon drippings in the pan. Saute’ the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic in the bacon drippings.
Add the okra, corn, diced tomatoes, water, Cajun seasoning and salt. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes until flavors are blended. Crumble bacon on top before serving.