Old Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookies
These Old Fashioned Soft Molasses cookies are almost like a bread and so good right from the oven with a little butter on top and a big cup of coffee.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Total Time27 mins
Servings: 3 dozen
- 1 cup shortening I use Crisco
- 1/4 cup white sugar You can use splenda or a sweetener in this recipe, too
- 1 cup molasses I used sorghum molasses but you can use any molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons ginger Could add other spices such as cinnamon and cloves as well
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour I used all 4 cups
Cream shortening, sugar, molasses and buttermilk with a mixer. Add baking soda, salt, ginger and vanilla and continue mixing. Add flour a cup at a time until mixture is thick enough that you can pinch off pieces and roll into balls about the size of a walnut. (Note: I mix in 2 cups and mix with mixer, then start adding more flour and mix with a spoon until the right consistency to handle).
Place walnut sized balls onto a greased cookie sheet and flatten. (I just use my hand to flatten). Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 3 dozen depending on size you make them.