RED VELVET CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

TSLCRedVelvetBlogSize

Red velvet cake is one of my very favorite cake recipes.  I have been making them for years!  Everyone loves this red velvet cake and you will make this over and over again.  This is a good wedding cake, birthday cake or just make it to serve family and friends anytime. The movie Steel Magnolias in 1989  featured a red velvet groom’s cake made in the shape of an armadillo. This cake is widely considered a Southern recipe by most people although it is served in many places in the north.  Popular frostings are cream cheese and butter cream.  This is a moist, light and fluffy cake that is wonderful with coffee.  Red velvet cake is a great addition to any holiday meal or buffet table.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vinegar

1 oz. red food coloring

Beat liquid ingredients together with mixer; add dry ingredients.  Beat 2 more minutes. Spray 2 round cake pans and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes until center is done. (This can be made in 4 layers or in 9 x 13 long pan.

TSLCCOOKBOOKBANNER1

Cream cheese frosting:

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 stick margarine, softened
1 box confectionery or powdered sugar (16 oz)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Whip all frosting ingredients together with mixer until smooth and of spreading consistency.

You can’t go wrong with this cake. It is made with buttermilk and has a lot of oil. That is what makes it so moist and good!  Enjoy!

Be sure and Pin for later:

Feel free to “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter icons below.  You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. Millicent Haynes says:

Ooops, I meant pan!

2. Millicent Haynes says:

Can this cake be made in a bundt pam?

3. is it frosting between the 2 cakes?

4. Beverly Parks says:

Friday my granddaughter and I made this cake for my oldest daughter, my granddaughters’ aunt, for her birthday. Red Velvet and Carrot Cake are her two favorites. It was sooooo delish and oh, sooooo RICH!!!! It’s been a very long time since I’ve made “from scratch” but, it was certainly worth it!!!! A real act of love on my part. 🙂 I researched many recipes, but your’s was indeed the best. Thanks. Going to make the Carrot Cake for her…..before her next bday.

5. Beverly Parks says:

What “kind” of vinegar, or does it matter?

6. Shirley Bishop says:

Can you use regular vegetable oil instead of canola oil?

7. I want to use a bundt cake pan, is the cooking time different?

8. Made it yesterday. If this recipe speaks for the rest of your recipes…it means that I can’t wait to try the rest of the recipes…I made it blue instead of red.. it was awesome

9. I use this recipe all the time with the exception that. I never use a mixer to make it. I use a wooden spoon a little more work but the consistency of the cake comes out better

10. The Southern Lady says:

Posting comments here from fans on Facebook regarding this cake:
    Ashley Renee: I use this recipe every time and I love it so does everyone else.
    Beverly Riley Butcher: This is the traditional recepie it is delicious.
    Betty Sundrla: YOU ARE RIGHT I MADE THIS REAL GOOD
    Carmen Jordan: I made this last year for Christmas. Had never made a red velvet cake before. Several red velvet cake lovers told me it was the best they had ever had! So, if you’re looking for a good recipe, this one is it!
    Vel Allard: I tried your recipe for Red Vevet Cake for my daughter’s birthday last week instead of using the one I had. Your recipe uses the canola oil; my old recipe used butter. We love yours! It turned out just exactly like this and is moister than my recipe. Thank you very much! We are all enjoying your recipes

11. Hi, question only 1 tsp cocoa?

12. I love to ground pecans up and add them to the frosting. Love Red Velvet Cake.

13. Lillian Herrington says:

One more question. Do you add the baking soda to the flour or do you just do it separately? Lillian Clarke Love is patient; Love is Kind

14. Lillian Herrington says:

Thank you so much for this recipe, but I just have one question; Do you sift the flour? Lillian Clarke Love is patient; Love is Kind

15. my girls love this cake.

16. Susan Elliott says:

what makes it red? food coloring? it isn’t mentioned in the recipe…just wondering…

17. what is “All purpose flour” and “Canola Oil” please? If I couldn’t find Buttermilk what could I use instead? I live in Spain and I am English so have NEVER heard of “Canola Oil” Could you advise please as I would Love to make this cake. THank You.

18. Suzanne Roland says:

Is there a certain preference of margarine over butter in the frosting?

19. I use this recipe for my Thanksgiving dinner! It was gone in one day thank’s for sharing I made another one onFriday and it was finished off tonight.My family loved it

20. My fave of faces…..I remember my nannyo making this…6 layers with 12 inch pans..and hearing my mothers comments regarding. A dozen eggs; a pound of butter; & a ton of sugar…
    I found the 12 pans…trying to find the recipe..this might be it…thank you.
    Also…am looking for an old recipe for orange cake with orange slices in cake..I sat on the kitchen counter & watched her cook. I have her love of family & cooking..
    Awaiting new cumpter…so my kindle will have to do for now.thank you for time..I love your blog.!!!!!!!!!!!

21. No, I don’t Janice, sorry. Someone else on here may have one for you.

22. Brenda Campbell says:

That looks awesome!! Love the cream cheese frosting, I think everything is better with some cream cheese frosting somewhere.