SLOW COOKER CABBAGE, POTATOES, AND SMOKED SAUSAGE

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

This is a great recipe for slow cooker cabbage, potatoes and smoked sausage and is the perfect dinner on a cold night.  When you just need some comfort food this is a super easy recipe that you will love.

Slow Cooker CabbageThis recipe keeps for several days refrigerated and can be doubled or cut in half.  This makes a great weeknight meal for family.  I love anything you can throw in the slow cooker or crock pot and have a great meal in a few hours.

Ingredients for Slow Cooker Cabbage, Potatoes and Smoked Sausage

1/2 head cabbage cut into chunks
5 or 6 potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
1 lb. smoked sausage cut into pieces(I use Hillshire Farm smoked sausage)
Salt and pepper to taste
Enough water to fill slow cooker half full

Add all ingredients to crockpot, cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about six hours until potatoes are done.

This goes well with a big pan of southern cornbread!

If you like this recipe you will enjoy these as well!

Crock Pot Amish Cabbage Patch Soup
Crock Pot Chuck Wagon Supreme
Crock Pot Chicken and Noodles

Click here to follow us on Instagram.

Don’t Forget to Pin!
Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter below. You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.
Be sure to look on the right hand side of any page and put in your email address to receive our free newsletter.  Your email will not be shared with anyone and you will receive recipes, tips, our magazine and all new articles right to your inbox.  Join 20,000 satisfied subscribers today.

1. Happy Homely Chef says:

Omg!! This is so amazing!!! We made it tonight with eckrich smoked sausages (skinless was all they had) a full head of cabbage and 6 medium/large potatoes in medium-largeish cubes and butter. We used the whole package (just over 2lbs) of the sausage. We added the salt (garlic salt) and pepper at the end and my husband gave it 10 out of 5 stars and hes not a very big fan of cabbage. He asked me to make this at least once a week 🙂 thank you so much for an amazing recipe

2. Try adding……Couple beef boullion cubes and couple bay leaves in the pot to cook. That’s how I do mine. Always delicious! Carrots, potatoes, onion, cabbage (not sauerkraut) water to cover veggies and smoked sausage with bay leaf and boullion cubes. Be sure to add black pepper!!! Delish!

3. The printer icon isnt on mine either.

What search engine are you using. I use Google Chrome and I see it. If you are using Firefox and have your security set to block everything, it may be keeping you from seeing it.

4. My wife and I have been making this meal for our family for many years..we have 6 kids so we always make a huge pot. My wife says her grandmother cooked this for Ukrainian New year.. my dad was from Hungary so no wonder I enjoy it so much. Our version starts out sauteing several onions in butter followed by 4-6 hillshire kielbasa’s cut up into 1/2 inch pieces and into the pot with the onions and butter..after the kielbasa starts to brown a bit add garlic powder generously.. salt & black pepper to taste and copious amounts of Hungarian paprika..too much is never enough..then throw in 5-8 lbs of peeled and cut up potatoes followed by a 1 to 2 lb bag of sauerkraut..cover with enough water to cover the potatoes by an inch or so and cook on med-hi until potatoes are soft and tender..then use cornstarch to thicken it all up a bit.. enjoy with yellow mustard on top of your bowl or sour cream.

5. No Icon to print, where is it

It is at the bottom of the post right above where it says start your own blog. It is a green square with a printer on it. Click that.

• Andrea Kollars says:

My Mom use to make this on top of the stove in a big pot. I am cooking it, right now….just me here, & at 74, still, carrying on the tradition! I will try the crock pot one day! I was going to try adding chicken broth to make it different, but all I have is Beef & afraid of ruining it! Only one can potatoes….out of the fresh! All the ingredients are the same as yours, except, I put the whole head of cabbage in & will add salt & pepper to my serving! I see someone added a little beef broth….by a little, I wonder how much!

6. I would add carrots

7. disappointed there is no print icon in the recipes

There is a print icon at the bottom of every recipe plus a statement that says click on the icon after every recipe. It looks like a little printer and is right there where you click on twitter, pinterest and facebook. Click on it and you can remove any photo and text you don’t want and either save it to your computer or print.

• Helen steyne says:

I have looked high and low and do not see a printer icon for the cabbage,sausage and potato receipe. Help

Scroll down to the bottom of the entry and it is a GREEN icon, that looks like a printer.

• Michelle Crawford says:

its right after the FV icon and the Twitter icon and the pnterest incon..:D its green…its also after the few ads..

8. I do this in my steamer… so easy and one of my family’s fav meals! We use kielbasa, not summer sausage; baby red or gold potatoes; and baby carrots. I layer the potatoes, then the carrots, then the kielbasa chunks in and steam for 15 min. and then add the cabbage (a whole head, cut into 6 wedges) and steam for another 15 min. Only other thing required at the table is hungry bellies and a pot of dijon or spicy ( or even plain) mustard!!

9. This recipe is so good!!! I have tried several of your recipes and have loved them all. Being a sSouthern girl living in the Midwest it’s wonderful to have recipes that take me back to my roots.
    Thank you.

Thank you so much Amie! Nice to have you on the site and happy you are enjoying the recipe. Have a great week ahead.

10. I added a yellow onion and carrots and this was amazing! I also added a bit of garlic salt. It wasn’t bland at all. Next time I’ll put more sausage in it. Thank you!

11. Omg this was amazing however I added baby carrots and opinions to it. No salt or pepper though. Figured everyone could sprinkle that on their own dish. I did however drizzle olive oil over the top before I put the lid on to cook. My husband said this was one of the best meals he ever had and honestly he loves all my cooking!

12. My mom made this 60 years ago but added sauerkraut instead of cabbage.

13. Please add me also, I love the recipes!

14. It’s even better if you add a can of Campbell’s Cream of Tomatoe soup before cooking. Yum!

15. Making this now. Has anyone added Lipton onion soup mix (dry) ?

16. I added Carrots to it….

17. Here’s our family version of this..cut kielbasa into 1/2 inch slices (we have a large family and use between 4-5 hillshire farms) saute in butter with cut up onions for 10 minutes or so to get color and onions soft, then throw in 5lbs of peeled cut and washed potatoes and then throw in a bag of sour kraut that has been rinsed..add enough water to pot to cover potatoes and liberally add paprika (Szeged sweet if possible)also some salt..pepper and garlic powder or salt…. cook med-high until potatoes are soft and then thicken with flour and serve.

18. Always made this for my family…on the farm, when they were growing up. STILL DO…no matter who’s around 😀 We all love it. Although the “slow cooker” is new for me. I still love my big lodge enamel coated cast iron HOWEVER. ..I’m liking the slow cooker too; so today I’ll follow this.

19. I’m having this for supper on Christmas Eve! I can’t wait! 🙂 x

20. My Mother made this all the time 50 years ago and I made it for my kids as they were growing up and we all still make it now!!! We love it!!!!

21. To add a little sweetness , Quarter a medium apple and add to cabbage.

22. Greek seasoning is good with cabbage. Sounds oh so yummy.

23. I’d substitute some chicken broth for that water

24. I cooked this today and it was delicious. cut the smoked sausage on an angle.

I sliced onions, sliced bell peppers, potatoes (cut in chunks) and baby carrots. I sprinkled with salt, pepper, and any other spices that you might like. Put veggies in a bowl with a little oil and mixed them up. Cooked in OVEN @ 450 degrees for 30 minutes. Add smoked sausage and a little beef broth and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. It is delicious.

25. I fixed this for my family with cornbread on the side and they absolutely loved it they did say they wanted a new cornbread recipe , they like sweet corn bread do you have any suggestions !!!!! Thanks

You can add some sugar to just about any cornbread recipe if you want it sweet. There are several cornbread recipes posted under breads on the right hand side of any page just click the breads.

26. I have made this for years. Add carrots, you can also do in a steamer in about 30 minutes. Layer the longer cooking items on the bottom. Carrots,potatoes, cabbage, onion sausage on top so the juice drips down for more flavor

27. Sure wish you would make it easy to copy your recipes.

It is very easy to print the recipes, Marilyn. Just look under each recipe and click on the printer icon. You can remove the photo and any text you don’t want and print just the recipe.

28. I make this but i add a med onion chopped it seems to give it a lot more flavor and i have added a can of rotel just to give it a little extra kick and of course as it says it goes good with a good ole pan of corn bread,,

29. Debi amerson says:

My kids are grown now but they still ask me to make this for them. It’s the only way I could ever get them to eat cabbage. And yep I’m a southern raised girls and so are my kids. Georgia born and raised…

30. I tried this today and found it to be very good. I too added a chopped onion. Flavor was very good. As stated above, its a keeper.

31. Will make this, only in a smaller amount.

32. I like a little sprinkle of vinegar on mine!! Great mouth watering meals:-)

33. Judy, I made this yesterday with a few added ingredients. I had some leftover cooked bacon from breaskfast, I chopped up 4 slices and added, also about 3 Tablespoons of bacon drippings, fresh ground pepper to taste and 1/2 red bell pepper cut into bite-size pieces. IN the words of my husband, “It’s a keeper!” Thank you for a wonderful recipe. I love your site! Theda

34. i used smoked ham hocks….. so yummy

35. I put this in the crockpot today and added green peppers and onions. I also used Johnsonville Chicken Sausages. I can’t wait to get home and try it out!

36. I was so excited to try this recipe today, but alas I must have done something wrong as I found it very bland. It needed something more, onion, a kick, what?

37. I’m loving this recipe! Looks like comfort food to me! 😀