ONION PATTIES – AMISH RECIPE

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Print Friendly

Onion patties are quick and easy to make and come from the Amish.  They make great appetizers and snacks.  Serve onion patties with ketchup, salsa, ranch dressing or any other kind of dip you and your family like.  These patties taste a lot like fried onion rings.  You could double or triple the recipe if serving a large crowd.  They can be reheated and will keep for several days refrigerated.  I fry these onion patties just like I would my fried cornbread.

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons cornmeal (self-rising or regular)
2 1/2 cups chopped onions (I used 1 1/2 large white onions, chopped)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup cooking oil (I used Canola)

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, black pepper and cornmeal in a large bowl.  Mix in chopped onions.  Pour in milk and mix well with spoon.  Heat oil in skillet on top of the stove.  Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil.  Cook on one side until brown and flip to cook on other side.   I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup full of batter for each pattie. You can add more oil to the skillet if you need to do so while frying.  Makes 10 to 12 onion patties. Enjoy!

Note:  You could add some garlic powder or hot sauce or any other seasonings you like to the batter before cooking if you like hot and spicy.

Don’t Forget to Pin Onion Patties!

Feel free to “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter icons below.  You can print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. Any suggestions for making it dairy free? Maybe almond milk?

2. Geraldine Beale says:

MY PATTIES ARE VERY GREASY, I DRAIN THEM ON PAPER TOWEL

3. Susie Nelson says:

What is the best way to reheat the Amish onion patties so they stay crisp?

You can reheat them in the microwave or oven but they won’t be as crisp as when you made them. I find with any fried food like salmon patties, onion patties or even fried potatoes, you can add a tiny bit of oil to a skillet and reheat for best crispiness. Hope this helps, Susie.

4. These are wonderful and I sometimes switch from the chopped onion to frozen corn kernels with all else remaining the same.

5. I made these this week, they were delish. I did half the recipe and it was stil a bit much for my daughter and I. I plan to make them again this week!
    Thanks for the great recipes

You are so welcome, Pat. Happy you are enjoying the recipe and happy to have you as a part of our community. Have a great weekend.

6. I haven’t seen these onion patties in years. I can’t wait to try out this recipe, thank you for sharing it.

You are so welcome, Steve. Hope you enjoy the recipe and have a great weekend. Thank you for being a part of our community.

7. Nancy K. Foster says:

Do you have recipes for KEFIR?