HOW TO MAKE OLD FASHIONED MILK TOAST

this post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.

Milk Toast was thought to be helpful years ago if you had an upset stomach and could not or would not eat normal food.  Parents made it for sick children because it would entice them with a sugary milk taste.  My father thought chicken noodle soup along with some ice cream would cure anything!  It was almost worth getting sick to get these sugary treats.  There are many ways to make milk toast but the first one is my personal favorite.  Milk toast makes a quick lunch or breakfast if you are in a hurry.  Most children love it if they like milk.

You will need:

Bread (Can use white bread, wheat bread, self-rising or whatever you like)
Butter
Milk
Brown Sugar
Ground Cinnamon
Ground Nutmeg

Toast the bread until crispy using the oven or toaster. I toast 2 slices for one person and use 1/2 to 1 cup milk.   Butter the bread and sprinkle on brown sugar, a pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg. I use about 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg for 2 pieces of toast.  Heat the milk on the stove or in the microwave and pull the toast apart in pieces and put in warm milk.  Enjoy!

Some people use white granulated sugar instead of brown sugar.  You can also make this by buttering the toast, heating the milk,  adding salt and pepper to the milk and leaving off the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Vanilla extract can be added to the milk if you like.  Another way is to butter the toast,  float the slice of toast in the milk and add a fried or poached egg on top.

You don’t need a recipe for this.  You can just make it to your individual taste.

If you have not tried this on your children or grandchildren, let them help you make it for a treat.

How many of you have tried or heard of milk toast and how did you or your parents make it??? Leave us comment if you try it, like it, hate it, love it or remember milk toast.

Don’t Forget to Pin!

Click here to check out other tips from our site: Tips From The Southern Lady Cooks.

You can “share” with friends by clicking on the Pinterest, Twitter or Facebook buttons below.  Click on the green square below with the picture of a computer to print this recipe.

1. Wendy Hampton says:

Oh gosh! I’m miserable with bronchitis and was looking for something to eat. My dad used to make this for me and the recipe brought me to tears. I’m going to make some right now. I KNOW this will make me feel better. Thanks so much for saving this recipe for me to find!

2. glenda ellis says:

enjoyed it as a child

3. Barbara Smith says:

I’m 80 years young & still love milk toast with butter, salt & lots of pepper & a poached egg on top!! Yumm

4. When I was a child we would have hot milk with sugar and chunks of Italian bread. Another snack was running cold water over a thick slice of day old Italian crusted bread and sprinkle sugar over it. This was in 1939. Liked it then ..wouldn’t eat it now.

5. regina shiner says:

It’s been years since I have thought about Milk Toast. ..my dad used to make for me when I was a kid …brings back such nice memories of my dad …Think I’ll make some right now ….Thanks

6. I make milk toast a bit different..I use a dense bread such as egg bread,raisen,or cheese bread..Any flavour or dense bread will do..Soak it in a milk bath like you would French toast put on a well butter sheet pan or in to buttered skillet depending if you want to cook on top of stove or in oven..Cook on top of stove on medium low and in over 350* turning after about 10 or 15 minutes..I use convection oven..aBefore turning put a half of pat of butter on each toast..Also same when cooking in skillet..Cook until golden brown or as dry as you want it..It is not a diet meal but oh so good..Serve with syrup,fresh mashed fruit or enjoy plain..

7. Eldonna Ashley says:

This is till one of my favorite treats, especially when it is cold. I like it best with white bread andvery warm milk. Spices or butter have never been used, and white sugar is the tradition. I like to sprinkle a tiny bit of sugar atop each bite as I like the milk unsweetened.

Thank you for your comment Eldonna. Glad to hear someone else knows what milk toast is and likes it! Have a great weekend.

8. We had this when we were younger, especially if we had a upset stomach. It was something you could eat that was easy on the stomach