Crunchy Peanut Butter Balls - TSLC

I love peanut butter balls. I can’t leave them alone when I make them and these crunchy ones are so good. They just melt in your mouth.

2 cups crunchy peanut butter (could use smooth)

1 stick butter or margarine or 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons

2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar

2 cups rice krispies

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

2 tablespoons shortening, Optional (This is solid shortening like Crisco and you cannot substitute butter or margarine)

Melt the peanut butter and butter together. (You can do it over low heat on the stove or in the microwave. I do mine 2 minutes in the microwave) Mix together the powdered sugar and the rice krispies.  Mix the sugar and krispies with the melted peanut butter and butter.  I just use a wooden spoon to mix them together. Form into balls about 1 inch in size or whatever size you like. Cover a baking sheet with wax paper and place peanut butter balls on the sheet and chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.  Melt the chocolate and shortening either on the stove or in the microwave. I do it in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes and stir well.  Dip peanut butter balls into chocolate and place back on cookie sheet. Keep chilled until firm or about an hour. Makes 3 dozen depending on size you make them.

Note:  The addition of shortening creates a smoother and more manageable consistency than melted chocolate alone. Doing this helps to make a more evenly coated product.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Balls - TSLC (2)

If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Chocolate Butterscotch Clusters.

Be sure and PIN for later: the-southern-lady-cooks-crunch-peanut-butter-balls

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below. It is the green square below with a printer inside the square right beside the twitter, Pinterest and Facebook icons.

1. Are the Rice Krispies still crispy in your recipe? Tried a couple times on similar recipe and they seem to come out a tad soggy. Almost like the ingredients had to be done in a certain order or they did not come out right.

2. I made them today. I uses cocoa crispiest and coconut oil in place of shortening. They are quite good.

3. Patricia eli says:

Can you do cashews instead or pecans

4. Are they as good as Buckeyes?

5. these sound delicious, can you use the choc. bark, instead of milk choc./crtsco . i think it would sit the choc better.

6. Do you keep them in the fridge when there done?

7. I have had this recipe for about 40 years and I love them. My recipe is called Mrs. Snaps Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls and also calls for 1 slab of paraffin. It also used 6 oz. semi sweet chocolate chips and a giant Hershey’s milk chocolate bar that you melted along with the chips and paraffin. I don’t melt the peanut butter either.

Then it is not the same recipe Sue if it is different from this one. Also, paraffin is not digestible and most people don’t use it anymore because it is not good for you.

• How could you make people eat paraffin people? OMG that’s horrible. I use that to make candles and I sure wouldn’t feed it to my family. SMH

8. I have used rice crispy and I have used corn flakes, the corn flakes makes the candy taste like a Butterfinger.

9. I’m 68 years old and have eaten peanut butter balls with paraffin in the chocolate all these years. My mother used to make them and now Ido. You only use a small amount and melt it with the chocolate. It’s the kind you use in canning, in blocks, not a liquid. It helps the chocolate set up. BTW, I’m a professional Home Economist.

10. Vickie Pertuset says:

Can you leave out the rice krispies?

11. It may be a southern thing. We have always used parafin blocks with chocolate. It doesn’t take enough to give you those side effects

12. Do you have to keep them refrigerated once they’re set?

13. Brenda ChiltonJeffries says:

I’ve made these a couple of times now and think I’ve mastered it. They’re actually quite easy to make. I’m hosting our annualChristmas cookie exchange this year and these are sure to be a hit 🙂

14. can you freeze them? Thinking the rice crispies might make them
    soggy when thawed…

15. I put some powdered sugar in a bowl and kept my hands dusted with it.

16. I make these every year at Christmas. I don’t melt the peanut butter and butter. I mis it all together with the Rice Krispies and powdered sugar. I too have used parafin wax every time as did my mother.

17. The Southern Lady says:

I never have a problem with the mixture but I always use the crunchy peanut butter. I roll them into balls with my hands and it doesn’t even get on my hands. Maybe, you melted it too much. You just microwave enough that it is barely liquid.

18. Could you use copha instead of crisco? Im in australia and dont think we have crisco.

I have always used shortening.

• [email protected] says:

19. Yes in canada it’s icing sugar . In USA it’s powdered sugar.

20. What a great thing for me to make with my grandchildren!!

21. I make them differently crushed graham crackers instead of cereal you can freeze them too if I don’t freeze them in my house they disappear quickly also coconut gives it a good flavor & texture I just put them in the food processor to chop them finer yummy recipe!!

22. Kathy Jurgens says:

Anyone ever try Coco Krispies?

23. When I was a child, I had an aunt that made these every year at Christmas. I had totally forgotten about them. They were so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’m going to make them this year. What a great memory!

24. I make these every year too, only I use dark chocolate & white chocolate for mine. DELISH !!

25. Oh yum!! I’m going to make these for Christmas (and hide them from everyone)! Thanks for the recipe!

26. Love peanut butter therefore I’ve put these on my list of must haves’.

AND it seems to be pretty easy which I also like. Thank you for sharing.

27. Anna Bennett says:

They look & sound so good. I will shear this with every one I know.

28. These sound wonderful! I love the idea of using crunchy peanut butter and the rice krispies! YUM! Just to pass along….when I make buckeyes (peanut butter balls), I form the mixture into balls, place on a baking sheet lined with waxed or parchment paper, and I stick a toothpick in them! It makes it so much easier to dip them in the melted chocolate/Crisco mixture! And I go ahead and put them in the freezer until I’m ready to dip them. After I dip them, I put them back on the sheet and back into the freezer! When ready, I pull the toothpicks out and I store them in clean, plastic, reusable coffee containers and room temp. Also, instead of Crisco, I use paraffin!

• Dear Pam….parafin??? instead of crisco..are you sure??Liquid paraffin is considered to have a limited usefulness as an occasional laxative, but is unsuitable for regular use as it can seep from the anus and cause irritation; it can interfere with the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins; it can be absorbed into the intestinal wall and may cause foreign-body granulamatous reactions; and if it enters the lungs it can cause lipoid pneumonia.[1]

• I have always used paraffin in chocolate when I am dipping goodies at Christmas time. I thought it odd to use years ago but that’s what my grandmother always used. I don’t use it on a regular bases so we have not had the side effects or actions that Rosemary mentioned. But we also don’t make a point of eating the entire container of goodies at one time!

• Geeezzzzz! Think of all the years we used paraffin….hummmmmm I wonder how long it takes for all that to kick in and about kill a person?

• Pretty much Every chocolate bar you buy has wax in it ,orit would melt in the wrapper

• no..i think you will find that good chocolate would only have a high content of cocoa butter(fat) anthing else is not good for you,please google it to find out!

• Yes, I’m sure paraffin! It’s my great-grandmother’s recipe and that’s the way we’ve always done it and have never had any issues.