This cake has been around for a long time. I made it for the weekend and realized I did not have it on the site.  It is one of my favorite cakes because of all the chocolate and the marshmallow.  It reminds me of real good rich brownies!

1 cup butter or margarine, or 2 sticks or 16 tablespoons, melted

1/2 cup cocoa (I use 100% pure cocoa)

2 cups sugar

4 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Dash salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups nuts of your choice( I use pecans or walnuts)

4 cups miniature marshmallows (Could use marshmallow fluff)

Melt butter in microwave.  Whisk in cocoa, sugar, eggs, flour salt and vanilla.  Fold in nuts.  Spray a 17 x 11 x 1 inch jelly roll pan (or can make this in a 9 x 13 pan) with cooking spray. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes if using jelly roll pan or about 30 to 35 if using 9 x 13 pan checking for doneness as ovens vary.  Remove from oven and spread marshmallows on top while the cake is still hot. (I put mine back in the oven for about 2 minutes to let the marshmallows begin to melt.  Add frosting below over marshmallows.

4 cups powdered sugar

1/2 cup evaporated milk

1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons butter, softened

1/3 cup cocoa

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat all the frosting ingredients together with mixer.  Spread over cake.

Let cake cool completely.

Note:  I keep this cake in the refrigerator

If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Texas Sheet Cake.

Love this recipe? Click the picture to order my “Sweet Things” Cookbook: CoverFirstCookbookHeritage

Don’t Forget to Pin! Mississippi Mud Cake

Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips, fun things and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 26,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.

© 2013 The Southern LadyCooks photos and text – All rights reserved. No copying, posting on other sites, or other uses allowed without written permission of the copyright holder

Feel free to “share” with your friends by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below. You can print by clicking on the printer icon below each post next to the Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter buttons in the green square with the photo of a printer. Click the green square to print.

1. I do this with brownies. Instead of frosting, I put chocolate chips and marshmallows on top, melt them in oven for about 5 mins. and then swirl with a spoon. Makes it look like the frothy water on the Mississippi River! Yum!!

2. Hi, this is Tony in Fort Worth, Texas. I absolutely love this cake. My mom had been making one every year for Thanksgiving or Christmas and I have carried on that tradition for almost 30 years now. The only difference is that instead of the marshmallows i use the marshmallow cream and follow the recipe to the letter. I love pecans but prefer not to add any, still absolutely fabulous cake.

3. Do you ever use cake flour.

4. Want to make it in a 13×9 pan. Would I use same recipe or lower amounts?

5. Yes indeed, a recipe I have used many times. My grand daughter is learning to cook from your recipes also. :)))

6. You just sent me down memory lane! My mom made a cake like this years ago… I have to go through her recipe box today!

7. Yummo thank you for your efforts.xoxox

8. Tim Threatt says:

I have been looking for this exact recipe for many many years. My friend Betty just sent it to me on facebook. I found out last month im diabetic but im still gonna make it. I was wondering if you girls would have another old recipe its called Texas Tornado cake. It was a warm yellow type cake topped with a buttery brown sugar sauce topping i think. It was also great. If you have it will you email me the recipe. I havent had it since i was a young child at a restaurant in Bristol Tn called Duffs it closed years and years ago. My email is [email protected]. I love you ladies recipes truly southern just like my older families cooking. They arent with us anymore i wish they were theres a recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits id love to hv. Ive tried homemafe biscuits before but hv no idea what im doing. Wrong but they are turning out like very thick pie crust or very flat. If you hv a good no fail recipe include it also please or any tips for what im doing wrong. I love to cook for my friends and can cook most anything and they love it. Only biscuits i hv an issue with. Thank you girls so much.

9. I made this exactly how it’s written here, but had a very hard time spreading the frosting…it got all mixed in and swirly looking with the melted marshmallows. It was a very thick frosting, so I even microwaved it for 20 seconds to try to make it easier to spread, but it was still very thick and difficult to spread. I’m sure it will taste just fine, but am curious what I might have done wrong that I ended up with frosting that looked nothing like yours….any thoughts?

I can’t imagine what the problem could be Erika. You can always add more milk to this to make it thinner if it is too thick for you. I put it on the cake while the cake is still hot, too. That should help as well.

• Robin Young says:

Make sure you put ithe icing on before the cake cools. Also don’t make your icing to far in advance because it will get firm. I wait till my cake has been in the oven a little while before I start my icing.

10. I’ve found different versions of this recipe online… yours doesn’t call for any kind of leavening… some do and some don’t. Have you tried both with and without? Thanks!

11. Willie Wright says:

Do you have to refrigerate it?

12. kay griffin says:

I always went to grandmas to eat this on Sundays this cake brings back allot of delicious memories!

13. I’m a chocoholic BUT also have the NUT ALLERGY ,if I don’t add nuts will the batter be too thin ???. Any advise when I see so many AWSOME recipes that include NUTS , what to do ??? Love your site !!!!

Thank you Karen. Happy to have you. I think you could leave the nuts out with no problem.

• Robin Young says:

I leave out the nuts and it does not change the consistency….still the best cake ever.
        If I am in a crunch for a last minute dessert I use a chocolate cake mix with this icing.

• I never put nuts in when I make it and turns out great

14. Its looks delious!!! Linda I’m making one!!! Hope it turns out like yours!!! Lol!!!

15. I’ve been looking for this recipe. I love Mississippi Mud Cake..

16. I didn’t have any marshmallows. Thought about it, since marshmallows are sugar and vanilla that is the flavor they would provide. I used a thin layer of vanilla frosting spread over cake while still hot. Then frosted with chocolate and more pecans because I do love pecans. Did not miss the marshmallows.

17. I have been making this for over 40 years. A friend gave me the recipe…My boys grew up eating these…They loved it when I would put marshmallows in it….So glad to see it posted…

18. Cherie Popely says:

My family has made this for over 80 years!! We call it “Grammie’s Marshmallow Cake”……..Yummy by any name!

19. Just made and it’s in refrigerator. Let you know how it is after tomorrow’s family reunion

• I couldn’t wait until tomorrow to try it, had to have a piece today and it is delicious. My granddaughter helped me test it and she is in agreement that it is super good. It is like a nutty brownie with marshmallows on top and then fudge on top of that. Yummy!!

20. jean sanders says:

You could just put marshmellows on one end of the cake ,then the whole family could enjoy it together.

21. Sharon Trimble says:

Do you let the cake and melted marshmallows cool before frosting?

22. Margaret Ann James says:

I used a like recipe to make this without marshmellows, and no one ever knew that it was supposed to include them. Really quiet delicious, and if you are a chocolate lover you will make this over and over. It is a favorite with everyone.

23. If you are diabetic try using Stevia instead. I’ve always used Splenda but now it turns out that mice have gotten leukemia that were given Splenda. Just a thought, thank you.

• I ask my endo about Splenda the last time I saw him. He thinks is it fine to use. Said it is has not been tested to enough to say it is bad.

24. Oh Yeh! It’s simply gorgeous too. Thanks for sharing. A relative use to make this for us many years ago. So happy to have the recipe. MMM good!

25. This looks yummy! It reminds me of an old recipe for Texas Sheet Cake – but this has those yummy marshmallows !!

• Susan Sorensen says:

Oh, my mom used to make Texas Sheet Cake! I think it came on one of those recipe card sets! I’ve been looking forever for that recipe

• Hope you find it !! I bet you could find LOTS of recipes for it online… the problem is… I know you’d like to have your mom’s recipe!

26. My granddaughter calls this ” The wonderful cake”

27. This is. One of my favorite desserts. I’m making one tomorrow for my husbands company picnic.

28. Best cake EVER!!! A favorite of my family’s as well. My sister-in-law gave it to me 30 years ago!!