Raisin Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting TSLC

These cupcakes are so good in the morning with your coffee or as a snack anytime.  I make them in small loaves, too.  They make a great dessert.

1 cup raisins
1 cup water
1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup walnuts or nuts of your choice, Optional
Combine raisins and water in sauce pan and bring to boil. Remove from heat and let set 10 minutes, drain.  Cream butter, sugar and eggs.  Whisk together flour, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture along with buttermilk.  Stir in vanilla extract.  Fold in drained raisins and nuts. Fill muffin tin with cupcake paper and fill about 3/4 full.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 25 to 30 minutes testing for doneness since ovens vary.  Note: I made 12 cupcakes and 4 small loaves with this recipe and cooked the loaves about 5 to 10 minutes longer than the cupcakes.  Frost with caramel frosting
Raisin Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting - TSLCCaramel Frosting
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 stick butter or margarine or 6 tablespoons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Melt all ingredients except powdered sugar on top of stove. Remove from heat and add sugar. Stir or cool until it has a glazed look and is of spreading consistency.
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes.
Click to follow The Southern Lady Cooks on Facebook.

1. Going to make for Christmas.

2. Elsie Silvey says:

Could you tell me how you turn regular milk into buttermilk. I hate to buy buttermilk just for 1 recipe. It is quite expensive.

Combine one tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice with 1 cup milk. Let stand for 5 minutes. Use in place of 1 cup buttermilk in recipe

3. [email protected] says:

This frosting is exactly what my mom made when I was home 40 years ago… What a memory….
    I am so glad I have found this recipe…. with this frosting…. My mom would make my favorite Banana Cake… with this frosting… Yummo……

4. Barb Trauch says:

Can I make this in a 9″x13″ pan? If so how long would I bake it ? Many thanks!

5. Do you know if this caramel frosting is the same thing I find on donuts? I thought it had maple in it. Have you ever tried substituting maple for powdered sugar?

This is the same thing as penuche frosting. I have never tried maple in it and I don’t know if it is the same as on donuts. Sorry.

6. Patti Knepp says:

Will definitely be trying these. I love how buttermilk makes such a moist cake. These are some of my hubby’s favorite flavors too.

7. My small grandson and I love raisins & spice. I plan on making these before visiting him on his birthday which is coming soon. Also, love the idea of caramel frosting on top.