If you have never had vinegar pie, you are missing out.  I am sure there are a lot of people that would not touch it because it has vinegar in it. Some people think Vinegar Pie and Chess Pie are the same thing but chess pie differs from this pie because chess pie has cornmeal in it and this one does not.   This recipe is so easy and the pie is so good.  My family loves this pie.  Just add a little whipped cream or ice cream and you will have a real treat.

1 (9 inch) pie crust, unbaked
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, or 8 tablespoons or 1 stick, melted
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients and mix well with mixer.  Pour into uncooked pie shell and bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Let cool before cutting.   Enjoy!
Note:  This pie will look like it is not done after 25 minutes.  It puffs up during cooking and will kind of fall once you take it from the oven.
Don’t Forget to Pin!  vinegar-pie
If you like this recipe, you might also like my recipe for Buttermilk Pie.
Just a reminder to look on the right hand side of this page and type in your e-mail address so you don’t miss notification of new tips and recipes when they come out! You will be notified first of anything new on our site. Your e-mail will not be shared with anyone. We have over 27,000 e-mail subscribers and they are always the first to know about any new posts.
You may “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below.  Print by clicking on the green printer icon below.

1. I grew up eating this pie. My mother’s family were sharecroppers in the 1930-40s and it was a cheap treat in their family. So, when I was a kid, my Mom and Dad worked for the same company but on different shifts so one or the other was always home with us and my dad did as much of the cooking as my mom did. Once Daddy decided to make the pie but he put more than the usual amount of vinegar in it. No matter – even though we all sat at the table sweating (from vinegar overload) – we still ate it!

2. I had Binegar Pie in the Western North Carolina Mountains back in the early 1980’s. Haven’t been able to find a good or close recipe simce… Your’s dors. The only thing I remember, is the top had a bit of a crumch to it. The lady said it was because the sugar rises to the top & bakes… Do you know about that? Or should I sprinle some of that coarse sugar on top?? Thank You

3. Awesome on a stick says:

Thank you for this recipe. I came across a reference to Vinegar Pie and was intrigued. I found your recipe on Pinterest and it was simple and easy so I tried it. It was exactly what I was looking for – thanks again

4. Jonathan W. says:

Made vinegar pie for the first time yesterday, just for fun. Never tried it before or heard of it. I’m not a Southerner, although, technically, Maryland is a southern state:) Served the pie with whipped cream! Delicious. My two teens loved it too.

I am so glad you enjoyed the pie! Thank you for letting me know. Have a great week!

• Jonathan W: I’m from MD also. Please review your history. MD is actually a Northern State but had a ton of Southern Sympathizers back in the day. Depending on where you live in MD will sometimes made the difference of whether or not you enjoyed Southern-style cooking. Being from ”Southern MD,” I was fortunate enough to have a wholotta cooking prominent in the South, including Vinegar Pie!

5. Just made these so simple and tastes divine!!!!!!!!! I love lemon merinqune pies and this tastes like a richer version. Another one I’ll be making again and again. Thank you!

6. I don’t know where I went wrong mine came out watery in the middle 🙁 left them on the counter all night gonna try to cook them a little more this morning

7. Made your recipe for the Banana nut bread, added some chocolate chips to it and it was so delicious. Kids loved it! Thank you and keep those recipes coming…

8. Looks like buttermilk pie

9. I know that around here in the queens bush in the 1800s lemons and fruit were very scarce for homesteaders and vinegar pie was a very welcome treat. the recipie here dif i remember reading it right was not all that enjoyable but perhaps it was the availability of ingredients that caused thhis. never got bold enough to try. perhaps this year

10. I´m making the pie right now and the house smell absolutely totally amazing! Found your site a while ago and thanks to that my whole family have enjoyed severel genuine southern meals up here in the Northern hemisphere, Sweden that is. We just love you recipes! Thank you and best of wishes. Laila

Thank you so much Laila. This pie is so good and I know you will love it. Happy you enjoy the recipes and happy to have you on my site. Have a great weekend.

11. I was just watching an old movie and they gave the recipe for Vinegar Pie so I just had to look it up. They add 1c seedless raisins and only use 1T of vinegar. I’m gonna make it tonight.

12. Have you tried the truvia/stevia sweetner? You can buy it in a bag now. I find that it works very well, or even try half sugar, half stevia.

• Thanks for the reply! Will be trying it with Stevia! I grew some stevia plant this year! It was awesome to muddle it with my tea!

13. I have to make this, if for no other reason than to see the look on my son-in-law’s face when I tell him he is eating vinegar pie! Yes, I can be mean that way. What fun!

14. Does it taste like lemon pie?

15. I am going to try it and I’ll bet it’s delicious!

16. My Grandma used to make vinegar pie. It’s so good!

17. gonna make 1 tonite….company coming tomorrow evening…looks yummy 🙂 thank you :-),

18. Would love to have chocolate chess pie recipe. I love the one from golden corral. Would like to make one.

Look on the right hand side of any page on this website about halfway down. You will see photos labeled, Appetizers and Dips, Breads, Meats, Casseroles, Cobblers and Pies. Click on the photo labeled Cobblers and Pies and there is a recipe for Chocolate Chess Pie listed there along with all the pies on the site.

19. How could I make this as diabetic friendly as possible, I wonder? What sugar substitute would I use and how much?

20. I made this pie last night and, even though I admittedly got the top a little dark, it was wonderful. It had a nice custard taste to it, but it was nothing like my grandmother’s chess pie. The pie itself was a smooth consistency and wasn’t too dense. I also loved the fact that it took all of 5 minutes to combine the ingredients. This one is definitely a keeper!

21. looks yummy!

22. Sounds close to the “Clarkston Pie” I have eaten all my life. This pie has rasins in it.

23. I have never heard of this pie. It looks good but does it have a vinegar taste?

24. Joyce Forcht says:

My Mom used to make what she called vinegar pie but it was more like a cobbler. I loved it. Before we were married, my husband was at my house and just enjoying this pie (thinking it was a lemon pie). When he found out what it was he stopped eating and wouldn’t eat another bite. He was ok when he thought it was lemon.

• Brooke Bradford says:

My mom also used to make vinegar pie like a cobbler and she would use a touch of red food color so that the filling was a pink color. I loved that pie! She never wrote the recipe down…..kept it in her head… it is lost to Alzheimers. I have never heard anyone else speak of vinegar pie made in this way. I am so happpy to see your post!

25. Lovely pie. I used half fat butteer and low cal sugar substitute. Pie was still good.xx

26. Sounds like one of my Granny’s Sunday dinners. All of us around the table. Never did get the recipes before she passed. Thank you.

27. Wow I’ve never heard of this before. I wonder where it originates from? So fascinating discovering new flavour combinations.

28. Betty Cardosij says:

This is one great pie !

29. Anita Steele says:

My Grandmomma used to make this pie and it has always been my favorite. She did not use nutmeg or cinnamon in hers. She
    used to say that when you were as poor as we were we could not afford lemons and so you used whatever you had! Brings back sweet memories…

30. looks tasty! the name is a bit off putting but I would definitely try it!

31. oh my my my…this looks and sounds terrific…being KY girl myself I think this looks like everybodies Grannies secret treat! A definate keeper and a definate share! Thanks for posting and making my mouth water….you know I will have to bake this and soon!

32. The recipe I have doesn’t have the dark top, it looks more like the texture etc of a lemon pie. Have to compare them, and then will have to taste test them LOL

33. I’ve been following your blog for all of 5 minutes and I can already tell I’m going to like it.

34. My mother in law made a vinegar cobbler but feel sure it had more vinegar than your pie. Never at any of her cobbler but it was one of her sons favorites. Your pie sounds good.

• My mom made vinegar cobbler too. Very buttery and vinegary. Delicious

• Brooke Bradford says:

Linda and Joyce… moms vinegar cobbler was so very vinegary and tart and sweet at the same time with a tender buttery crust and strils on the top! Delicious