This zesty chicken casserole makes a lot and my family loves it.

4 to 5 cups chicken, cooked and chopped (I bake a chicken and chop for this recipe)
1 cup green onion, chopped (can use regular onion)
1 cup green pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of celery soup
1 (10.5 ounce)can cream of chicken soup
1 (4 ounce) can green chilis, drained
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 to 4 cups crushed tortilla chips
2 cups shredded Mexican style cheese or cheese of your choice
You will need a large skillet.  Cook the green pepper and onion in the oil.  Add the tomatoes, celery soup, chicken soup, green chilis, chili powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt and cumin to the skillet. Mix well with a spoon and simmer about 10 minutes.  Add a layer of crushed tortilla chips to a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Next, add a layer of chicken and cover with half the soup mixture from your skillet.  Sprinkle on 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Add another layer of chips, chicken, and the rest of the soup mixtures.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.  Remove and add remaining cup of cheese.  Return to oven for about 5 minutes or long enough to melt the cheese on top of the casserole dish.  Makes 10 to 12 servings.  Enjoy!
Note:  You can add some cayenne or hot sauce to this casserole if you like hot food.  Can serve with a dollop of sour cream on top, chopped tomatoes, olives, etc. This makes a great dish for company and you can use your imagination and add other ingredients, too.
Don’t Forget to Pin!   chicken-tortilla-chip-casserole
You may also like:
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
Swiss Chicken Casserole
Chicken Noodle Casserole
 You may “share” by clicking on the Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest buttons below.  To print click on the green printer icon below.

1. Judy Sandefur says:

Why cant I print this recipe?

2. Becky McGee says:

Winner, winner, South of the Border chicken dinner………….yum!

3. I can’t wait to try this. My grandmother did a casserole called south of the border and it had chicken and chips also. I never got her recipe and I wish I would have . Her dish was delish and this recipe is as close as I have seen. Thank you my lady.

4. I did not like this only because it was very soggy. The chips did not stay crispy at all. We ended up using it as a dip with tortilla chips. The flavor was awesome nut just very soggy texture

I can’t imagine why yours would have been soggy. Mine never is, Stacy. You can tell by my photo just looking at it that it is not soggy. Sorry yours was but glad you liked the flavor.

• I made it today and I thought it was great. I had my daughter and granddaughter for supper and they thought it was great. I will make it again.

Thank you so much, Louise. I am happy to know you and your family enjoyed this recipe. We love it.

5. Thank you so much for sharing. I wil try this.

6. Too large for my family .. can 1/2 could be frozen for another meal? It really sound delicious!

7. I am going to have to try this it looks yummy.

8. This looks and sounds delicious! I am going to try it tonight!

9. Winner! Thank you!!

10. This sounds great and I intend to make it soon. For a short cut I think a rotisserie chicken would be a short cut to a great dish.

11. Vicki Trefry says:

Do you have any suggestions for gluten free substitutes for the soups? We have Celiacs and most of the condensed soups have wheat. Thank you

• I don’t, Vicki, but posted your comment and maybe someone else will have some ideas for you.

• Alison Mayer says:

Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup Mix

4 cups instant non-fat dry milk
      1 1/2 cups cornstarch
      1/2 cup chicken or beef bouillon granules
      1/3 cup dry minced onions
      2 teaspoons mixed Italian herbs
      1 teaspoon garlic powder
      1 teaspoon Hot Shot (red and black pepper blend)

This equals 18 cans of condensed cream of chicken or cream of beef soup! Stored in two jars! I’m so excited.
      To reconstitute (equal to one 10.5-ounce can of condensed cream soup), combine 1/3 cup mix and 1 1/4 cups water, either using a small saucepan on the stove or a microwave-safe bowl; cook and stir till mixture thickens.
      I labeled the jars and noted the directions to reconstitute the mix right on the lid. This batch of cream of chicken mix and another of cream of beef is equal to 36 cans of soup!

• I know this comment /request is from a year ago….but i use these homemade condensed “soups”. .

Condensed “Cream of Anything” Soup

1 cup cold milk
      2 Tbsp cornstarch
      1 1/2 Tbsp butter
      1 tsp chicken bouillon
      1/2 tsp salt
      dash of pepper

In a small saucepan, whisk milk and cornstarch till well blended.
      Stir in butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper.
      Heat to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer on low for one minute more to thicken.
      Use in recipes to replace one can of cream of anything soup.

Stir in a drained 4 ounce can of mushroom pieces to the recipe above.
      Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Mushroom Soup.

Stir in 1/2 cup cooked chicken pieces to the recipe above.
      Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Chicken Soup.

Stir in 1/2 cup sautéed chopped celery to the recipe above.
      Use in recipes in place of one can of Cream of Celery Soup.

• Make a white sauce with cornstarch and milk, could simmer celery in milk to give the milk extra flavor.

12. thebetterbaker11 says:

Oh Yes! I make a similar recipe and we call it Taco Chicken. A BIG HIT for everyone who tastes it. YUMMMM! I’ve got a giveaway going on and would love for you to come over and check it out..thanks to you I made it over 5,000 FB likes over the weekend. MUAH!

13. My husband would love me for making this for him. These types of casseroles are right up his alley. Thanks for sharing…I may make this for him this week. 🙂

Enjoy your afternoon!

14. Bill Cloud says:

Thanks for all your great recipes

15. Lisa Hurtley says:

just wondering how small the tortilla chips should be

16. This Comment is about the:: “Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole”. I make this with uncooked corn tortillas and let it sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours to soak in to them. The reason I use uncooked tortillas is because this is so salty with the 2 cans of soups.I needed a healthier version as the chips are salted as well. Hope this helps.