Southerners love grits any way you “fix” them and this is one of my favorites.  You can also make this using sausage,  bacon or shrimp.

3 cups water
3/4 cup quick cooking grits
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup ham, cooked and chopped
1/4 cup green onions, chopped (can use regular onions)
Several drops hot sauce, Optional
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice, divided (can use more cheese if you like a lot)
Bring water and salt to a boil, add grits and cook five minutes until thick.  Remove from stove and add butter, eggs, garlic powder, ham, green onions, hot sauce and half the shredded cheese.  Mix together and pour into sprayed casserole. Sprinkle rest of the cheese on top. (I use a 9 x 5 loaf pan). Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes uncovered.
Note:  If I have any ham and grits leftover, I fry them the next morning.  Make it into patties just like you would potato cakes (I use my hands).  Dip in flour, then into beaten egg, in flour again and fry.  Serve with your favorite topping such as syrup, powdered sugar or whatever you like.
You might also like my Garlic Cheese Grits recipe.
Please check out our other sites on Facebook and “Like” the pages. Thank You!
The Southern Twins

Everything Kentucky

1. If you can’t find grits I think polenta might be a good substitute.. polenta us yellow corn, grits is white corn. Grits might be a bit more coarse than polenta.

2. Sue Younkin says:

So excellent! The first time I made this, I used shrimp because I didn’t have any ham. (love, love, love shrimp ‘n grits!). Today I didn’t have either, so fried up some bacon til really crisp, and used it instead. Heaven in a spoon!! Thanks so much for this recipe! So adaptable!! It is a major “staple” in my home now!!

3. Oh my gosh…I want both the casserole and leftover cakes!!! Yummmo!!

4. Sharon in Florida says:

Made this for breakfast today, using sausage. Definitely a ‘keeper’ recipe! Awesome stuff!

5. Made for breakfast this morning. used sausage instead of ham, regular onions and added green peppers. Browned the sausage, green peppers, and onions first, then finished it. It was AWESOME!!!!

6. This one I will try, sounds so good. Really like using left overs/

7. I don’t have any grits right now, but I love the idea. I want to try my hand at corn meal mush which may end up a staple here. But I wonder if this recipe would work with that also. It looks good and hardy, and I like what you do with the left overs. NICE!

8. In our grocery store the grits are with the hot cereal, such as oatmeal, cream of wheat and such.

9. Leslie Heironimus says:

Smithfield (Virginia) country ham would be SO good in the grits (with a spoonful of red-eye gravy). I’m trying this next time my mom cooks one of those great hams!

10. I make mine the exact same way. Since joining Pinterest though I forget to make my old recipes….so I pinned this for a reminder.

11. Denise Pace says:

Grits are sold in the cereal aisle at the grocery stores in Maryland. I think they should be stocked in the rice, pasta aisle as we often serve cheese grits in place of rice or potatoes or pasta. My family would rather have cheese grits than any other side.

12. Kay Walden says:

What are “grits” could I use potatoes in place of? but then I see a comment of “sprinkle of sugar – splash of cream”? maybe not!

13. Oh my goodness, this looks like heaven, I am trying your recipe this weekend!! Nettie

14. Is this something that can be prepped ahead of time and frozen to be cooked in te oven later?
    Or even made the night before and refridgerated an then baked the next morning?

15. I have always enjoyed my grits plain with a sprinkle of sugar and a splash of cream, but these sound amazing. I don’t know what looks better – the original recipe or the fried leftovers version!

16. What is grits? I asked in our shops but they think I’m mad. I don’t think we have grits here in South Africa.

17. Julie Bromley says:

My grandmother used to fry grits. She would pack them into an empty, clean coffee can which had been liberally buttered on the inside and put them in the refrigerator. The next morning, she’d cut the bottom out of the can and use it to push the grits out to a thickness of about 1/2-1″, flour them lightly and fry in butter. We ate them like pancakes. I can only imagine how awesome your ham & grits would taste fried.

18. Jon Cappel says:

I have another question. Where in your grocery store is grits located??? I still don’t have enough nerve to ask, as up here they give one funny look when one asks for things like hushpuppy mix, and creole seasoning, so thought I would ask you just what department is it in there and I will look up here. Thanks, Porky

19. http://lovelyseasonscomeandgo.wordpress.com
    I am coming to your house for breakfast LOL! This recipe looks delicious. I will try to make this one too. Thanks.